Bantam Crowing?? As loud as a standard?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by arlee453, Aug 20, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd love to get my husband (OK, well, myself...) some bantams but we have a neighbor 2 houses up who complains if our dog goes out to potty and barks one minute after 10pm. I'm sure he would not be happy with a roo crowing and I'm trying to fly under the radar with my chickie babies.

Sooo... all the bantam places I find do not sell sexed chicks, so the question is, do they crow as loud as a standard chicken? Would it be as annoying for touchy neighbors??

My suspicion is that they are pretty much as loud as the standards, but one can always hope... [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes louder. Even if not louder, definitely much more shrill and earsplitting. Also, depends on the individual.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sigh... thanks for the answer - I was hoping that maybe they were more muted, but figured that was wishful thinking!

Ah, well, I'll just have to order him some easter eggers then...[​IMG]

4. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I did have one Bantam pair at one time and the rooster crowed just as loud as any big old rooster! Size didn't matter.

5. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    If someone could breed a strain of chicken that had mute roosters I think there would be quite a market!! I would love a rooster if not for the crowing. I sleep late. [​IMG]

6. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    There is one place that claims to sex bantams...was it my pet chicken???? I know there is one though, although I dont know how accurate. Why dont you look into some adults, then you can get pullets.

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My two Silkie Bantams are crowing louder and more often than my Leghorn roo.
    They are all 16 weeks old.
    I'm going to eat them. [​IMG]

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:FYI.... i got 6 all female ameraucana bantams and 2 of them are roo's. I had to give up 2 girls in order to get the boy placed in a good home. They are great to do business with and everything, but there are still no promises. Even if you pay extra.....no promises with bantams. I'm just warning you because by the time you realize its a boy, you might be attached to him and be sad to have to part with him. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:YUK.....I heard that is a bad thing to do. I got my silkies from a lady that had 2 silkie roo's.
    Everytime either of them crowed, i burst out laughing at them. It was as if they were never meant to crow, but kept trying anyway. Both sounded totally different.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I'm told from a very reliable source (Silkiechicken) you can eat silkes bantams.
    They have purple skin but so does eggplant. [​IMG]

They sounded like squeaky toys at first but now they sound like full
    fledged roos. Their crows are getting louder, deeper, and more plentiful
    every day. Now watching them crow is fun. You wouldn't believe
    such a sound comes out of one of those little flufferbutts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by