Bantam dark cornish eggs, 2 hatched black? Colour gene question: how?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Phoenixxx, May 25, 2017.

1. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought some hatching eggs off a guy who's kept a pretty closed flock of bantam dark cornish that he had been breeding for nine years. Most of his birds were actually white-laced-red, but the others were a darker rust colour and no other breeds in with them. Well, my eggs have hatched, and i have a few pure white (NOT yellow, like how most white chickens are as chicks), a lot of white with pale rust markings, a few that are more richly coloured and then two black - beaks and legs included! How is this possible? Are they "throwbacks"? I tried searching for how colour genetics work in the cornish but couldn't find anything.

2. JRNash

JRNash Overrun With Chickens

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    I believe there is a thread on her where all people talk about is color and genetics

3. Phoenixxx

Phoenixxx Chillin' With My Peeps

I did look through a couple of those threads but did not find the answer.

4. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Go to the meatbird ETC forum, get on the thread : First Run of cornish meat birds and super excited.
    I'm fairly certain someone on that thread can help you.
    Also try asking Fat Daddy he raises SOP cornish

Phoenixxx likes this.
  5. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Lpatelski,Ralph,and R2elk and Fat Daddy just to mention a few are super knowledgeable about the birds

Phoenixxx likes this.
  6. JRNash

May 16, 2015
    Mauriceville,Texas
    Hope that helps

Phoenixxx likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by