Bantam d'Uccle chick with bad feet---how do I help it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Titania, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    Hi, I think I let this chick run around in the incubator too much. Both of its feet are bent in.
    [​IMG]
    I hope you can see that well in the picture. Basically it can't walk. I put bandaids on both of its feet, but it's too tiny to wrap a bandaid around each toe. I just put a flat foot in one bandaid and wrapped it shut. But it couldn't walk that way either so I took the bandaids off. The left foot improved slightly but the right did not. It's using its wing as a crutch. It's a tiny, tiny chick & I'd love ideas on how to help it. I've read cardboard shoes but how do I get them to stick to such small, feathered feet?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have treated this two different ways.

1) Take one side of the sticky part of the band aide, put it on the table – sticky side up, place chick’s foot on the sticky part where you want them spaced. Fold the bandage part over the top of the foot and press between the toes so the bandage sticks to the sticky part of the band aide. I hope that makes sense. [​IMG]

2) I have left some alone and they straighten/strengthen on their own.

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had a D'uccle with similar issue. Unfortunately it had other issues and I had to cull. It was almost as if the toes crossed under each other. Using the band aide might work. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    so, when I used the bandaids yesterday, it was WAAAAY too sticky for its feet. I put its tiny toes in the right position on the sticky party (but I didn't push the bandage down in between the toes to make it stick to the sticky part so maybe that's what I tried wrong) but then I could not peel that bandaid back off. It was sad actually. maybe I'll try it this other way.
    thanks

5. HorseFeatherz NV

You can use a bit of oil (olive, corn, veggie, mineral) to help remove the sticky. Just massage the foot/wrap a bit and pull gently - if not coming off easy - rub a bit more oil onto the sticky.

Pushing the band aide bandage down helps to push the toes into the "right" position (or so I understand).

6. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    sadly, I have to report that my little chick died. It was about half the size of its hatch-mates so I think its foot problem was preventing it from eating & strengthening. After I posted & got the great advice, I made little shoes for it using a cardboard box and bandaids, just cut around its toes, that I used from this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=51112
    I also used a hair-tie from a threat I saw to try and keep its legs together. Got that idea from this thread.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4167584
    But, either the stress was too much, or it was on its way down, or it wandered into a cold corner & couldn't get back out, but I found it dead yesterday morning.
    Thanks for all the suggestions & help. I just wish it would have lived, not died, when I tried to help it.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  7. Titania

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    this is a picture of the shoe. But, I wish I wouldn't have tried. If it had died, it would have been because it was its time. But since I tried to help and THEN it died, it's more like I killed it. Oh, well. Just too young and little I guess
    [​IMG]

8. HorseFeatherz NV

I am sorry the little one passed.

Please do not feel like you contributed to the passing in any way. [​IMG] Sometimes, it is what is ment to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by