Bantam ducks vs. Muscovies vs. Geese....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by D Bar J Acres, Jan 23, 2009.

1. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    Okay, looking for other experiences here....

We've had Muscovies for 4 years. They are okay, not friendly, but not psycho like the Cayugas we got from Privett. Can't beat a better broody either and they sell pretty well either privately or at the auction. But they are so smelly. In summer I feed them Flock Raiser pellets mixed with oats (they also free range). This winter I switched to oats/corn and their poop is a lot more normal looking and not this terrible black/green splatter as in summer (maybe they get too much protein in summer?) We also only keep 4 hens and one adult drake at any time. We had two beautiful hens commit suicide on the road (we live on a gravel side road) a few weeks ago (I kid you not, their mother has depression ever since).

Mid November we had a new arrival. A domestic goose (we think Tolouse) showed up with the muscovies - no neighbors have geese so no clue where it came from. In good health, not used to people or feed, but now eats grain with the ducks and is about as used to us as the scovies are. Kinda neat bird. DH named it Gus. We tried sexing Gus today and from what I've read, I think it's a girl as no "surpise" popped out nor the "foamy" stuff I read about either. Gus felt quite violated! But we'd kinda like to get her (??) a partner. Does anyone know if geese pair up or what they do? I'd maybe like a pair of pilgrims to go with Gus. Heard they have really good temperments for geese

I've tried call ducks 2x from 2 different places (a show breeder in spring 07 and a "collector" swap meet person fall 08) both times they 3 of the 6 birds had sinus infections, first time we didn't know what it was, the breeder said just to squeeze the face and it'd go away. We should have walked away after that, but bought them anyway and the other batch didn't develop it until we got them home and it got cold out. The breeder ones we did away with as the were really bad, the other ones we gave to a friend who said she didn't care. Luckily they were all quaranteened. So, no more of those dear little call ducks as I've found out it's sooo common and I'm not going to deal with it and the dishonest breeders.

So, I want to try Australian Spotteds. Have 10 ordered from Holderreads. Except for the crazy cauygas and the calls which were here just a short time, I haven't had "regular" ducks. Will these guys be as messy as the Muscovys with their nasty poop? I know I'll have to keep them separate from the scovies so I don't have a big drake violating a little hen. So, I'm thinking maybe just go with one breed or another. The Aussies are very rare, so maybe would sell good and would eat a lot less and make less mess. Help!!

2. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I've only had Muscovies and never found their poop splattery, nor have I noticed any stink other than normal and I'm pretty stink sensitive.
    Maybe they have worms??

I'm sure your goose will much appreciate a companion as like most birds and animals they like to be with their own kind.
    Gus will bond with the other geese I'm sure.

I think every variety of duck has its virtues and drawn backs. Just remember other breeds of ducks can be rather noisy compared to Muscovies.
    You will get many opinions and recommendations here but ultimately you have to find the breed that personally appeals to you and what works best for you in your environment.

3. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2007
    I've heard from other people as well that Muscovies are just nasty, foul smelling ducks and they stopped raising them because of that. I assumed mine were "normal"

4. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Wow, I never heard that before.
    Thats interesting.
    Wheh I first got geese I thought...
    hmmm...thats different smell but got use
    to it.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:We raise Muscovy ducks and I like them. I think it is pretty neat the way they wag their tag and that they are so much quieter then other ducks.
    As for ducks that will lay, hatch and raise their young, you can not beat a muscovy. As for your new goose, I am sure she would love to have a mate. As they are flock animals and do better in groups. As for the little call ducks I can not say anything on them, as we have never had them.
    Good luck.
    Sharon

6. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I have never had standards so cannot give any comparisons for you. I do have australian spotted bantams and adore them. You can fit more in less space just due to the size and the poops aren't quite as big, I assume. [​IMG]

Our girls are from Holderreads and I hatched my boy out from eggs from poorridgeranch.com.

7. Cyberbmxer

Cyberbmxer Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2008
    Lebanon, Connecticut
    Last summer I had 4 ducks and no drakes. One went broody and was sitting on eggs. So I ordered 15 Jumbo Peking for MM and when they arrived I kicked momma off of her nest and out of her stall and put week old pekings in with them and she was the happiest momma ever! I just got a Drake last night and the "girls" are so Happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by