1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CK Chickadilly, Feb 10, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I was wondering if any of the ducks offered from Ideal Hatchery are considered bantams ????
    I know it says the Snowy Mallards are only 2 - 2 1/2 pounds.
    What is the heaviest weight for a bantam duck?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    26 ounces for a drake and 20 onces for a hen

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Snowy mallards are sometimes considered bantam, sometimes not... Mallards in general are usually bantam. It depends on who you talk to. They are small ducks though. A runner, which is a light weight duck and not very big is about 4-5 pounds. I think light weight ducks are normally in that range of 4-5 pounds. so 2 pounds in much smaller. I got a snowy mallard from Ideal and they are much smaller than the other ducklings i got. The pekin i kept is gi-normous compared to the snowy mallard! lol

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    In many shows, only calls and Indies are in the bantam class. Mallards are in the light duck category,

5. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I'll add that 26oz and 20oz is from the American Bantam Association standards for bantam ducks.
    ETA: I shouldve read a little farther. The 26 and 20oz are for call ducks. Mallards are 40oz for the drake and 38oz for the hen. Mallards are in the ABA Bantam Standard. I need to read up more on them before commenting. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  6. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:Did you like the little snowy mallards? I want very small & didn't know if the snowys were close to the calls?

7. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I made a mistake.... mallards are bantams. I apoligize for any misinformation.[​IMG]

8. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:I didnt know it either untill I looked in the ABA standards book. I have just looked at the bantam chickens, and only thumbed thru the bantam duck section, untill today. [​IMG]

9. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    YaY! So I can order Snowy Mallards with my chickie order? YaY! I am Happy can you tell? [​IMG]

10. B. Saffles Farms

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Im still not convinced youre all that excited. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by