Bantam EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PepsNick, Nov 28, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I didn't think that EEs could be bantam. Am I wrong? This is a 30 week old pullet named Zucchini. She's always been smaller than the others, but she's full grown now and I'm really noticing it. Is she just small?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here she is with the others. She ususally doesn't look that big.

[​IMG]

Thank you.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    EEs most certainly can be bantams, there are LF and bantams in both Ameraucanas and Araucanas [​IMG]
    Your girl looks a lot like my old girl, is yours a total sweetie? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:Lol not quite a total sweetie, bu she always lets me pet her and smetimes hold her [​IMG] She's lowest in the pecking order. So is she bantam?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have two light colored bantam EE pullets in my flock. They're so sweet! I can hardly wait to see their eggs....

5. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    just how much smaller is she? If she is about half the size then the rest then yes

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Lol not quite a total sweetie, bu she always lets me pet her and smetimes hold her [​IMG] She's lowest in the pecking order. So is she bantam?

'Bantam' EEs are not tiny like you would think. They're more along the lines of a small large fowl. Though I'd say yours is probably not bantam if the others in the pic are LF.

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA

'Bantam' EEs are not tiny like you would think. They're more along the lines of a small large fowl. Though I'd say yours is probably not bantam if the others in the pic are LF.

In the picture she's standing up very straight, the pic doesn't represent her height very well. Though it does reprsent her body size well.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My bantam EE roo likes to mate with my bantam cochin pullets because they are about the same size. My bantam EEs remind me of doves or pigeons. They are quite small and dainty.

My LF EE pullets are about the same size as my Golden Sex Links and Welsummers.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Since EEs are not a 'breed' they can come in a variety of sizes. Mine was about half as big as a LF hen, while my LF EE hen is as big as my barred rock.
    I still think that yours is probably a LF, she just doesn't look all that much smaller than the others.

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

I just ran out to take a pic of my bantam EEs- I had been wanting to take some pics of my flock anyway! [​IMG]

Ok, I hope this uploads. I am new at this.
    Hurrah- it worked! One of my 4 bantam EEs is the gray and white bird in the center of the photo next to the buff silkie. Another is visible to the left of the coop- kind of a golden hen off in the distance some.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by