1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam egg hatching opinions, please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jerseygirl1, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    OK, I posted about this awhile back - does anyone do anything different when hatching bantams versus large fowl? I can hatch large fowl anything (though roosters seem to be my forte), but when it comes to bantams, I really stink. Does anyone do anything different when hatching them???

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Marilyn, I did the same exact thing with hatching bantams as LF. Equally successful. [​IMG]

3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I don't do anything different, They are usually in there together

4. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    [​IMG]

5. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    30-35% til lockdown, then bump to 60-65, right?
    Where's Nat?

6. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Quote:I just don't let mine get below 25% and then not above 60%, had best hatches that way!

What are ya hatching'?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I have a sportsman and it keeps my humidity at about 40. I have all bantams so that is mostly what I hatch, though I do hatch LF for my daughter. I have had many 100% hatches. So this humidity works for me

8. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I just don't let mine get below 25% and then not above 60%, had best hatches that way!

What are ya hatching'?

My test hatches have been my own bantam mixes,but I really want welsummer bantam eggs early next year and will smack myself if I mess up that hatch!!!!!!!
    (I really want to show them)

9. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We hatch the fun size with the big kids and my hatch rates are very good.Yesterday's bantam Ameraucana hatch was 100% no quitters all hatched [​IMG]

10. JosieChick

JosieChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Lyman, ME
    Hey, I have a test hatch of silkies in my Brinsea Eco right now that I am trying a lower humidity with, they go into lockdown tomorrow so I will let you know if I have better luck! They are all bouncing in their eggs so hopefully they hatch well but this is where you and I both run into trouble right? Lockdown, hardly anything or nothing hatches even though they look great and all I can come up with is that they are drowning when they pip. I will post in a few days if this works! Soooo frustrating! I can't wait to have a broody hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by