Bantam Egg Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I've heard bantams don't lay as frequently as standards.
    What have other bantam owners experienced?

My little Leghorn started laying last weekend and gave me 4 eggs this first week.
    Is that about the norm?

Thanks in advance...

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I think my bantams lay better than my large fowl, at least my Faverolles, d'Uccles and Cochins do. My bantam Ameraucanas don't lay as well as the others do though, so like with everything else, it depends on the breed. [​IMG] I have one bantam Cochin that sometimes gives me 2 eggs in a single day...I really think her other ovary is somewhat functional.

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I would say, its all in the breed not the size of the chicken I have 3 bantam and a buff orp and they all seem to lay about the same when they are laying, but its hard to say because 2 of my bantam went broody a month to 2 months after they started laying and 1 laid 11-15 days in a row before she stopped to sit on eggs, I think that is more the problem with the bantam breeds they seem to go broody more often.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks, I always learn something new at BYC.
    I got another egg yesterday, so that makes 5 for her first week, pretty good I think.
    I saved them and made scrambled eggs yesterday...delicious!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by