1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottagechick, Dec 26, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I know that myself and others have questions about Bantams and their egg laying. I thought it might be interesting to try to get a thread going so that people can record actual info about this. This can be as easy or as hard as we want. Update daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly - whatever is convenient. Put as much relevant info as possible... breed, age, hatchery vs breeder, size of egg, pictures of the egg in relation to a large egg would be great!

I'll start
    12/26/11

Breed Age Hatchery/breeder Eggs
    2 Araucanas 8 months breeder 0 (none for this whole year ;-(
    2 silkies 4.5 months hatchery 0 (none for this whole year ;-)
    1 Wyandotte 4.5 months hatchery 0 (none for this whole year ;-(
    1 Barred Rock 4.5 months hatchery 0 (none for this whole year ;-(
    1 Polish 4.5 months hatchery 0 (none for this whole year ;-(

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have bantams, but I do have an Excel spreadsheet for laying.

3. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:hmmm....spreadsheat... I just got a new computer...don't know if I have excel on it...have to check...

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's super easy to keep track of egg laying.

5. dixiebeast

dixiebeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Cross Hill SC
    I just write on my calender how many eggs I got from which breed for example:todays count:

8 eggs ( this is the count from my mixed laying flock of 9 gals...RIR,BO,and barred)
    2 Blue (this would be my 2 Ameraucanas)
    1 EE ( i have one EE)
    1 Duclle ( I have one white)

all my other are not at laying age so its easy this way for now

6. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I was actually hoping to get information about other peoples eggs...so we could get a better idea in general... I figured since people (myself included) are always asking how this bantam or that bantam lays...or how big the eggs are..ect...if we had a large number of people reporting we could get a more accurate idea... [​IMG]

7. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I have some OEGB and some start around 8months to 1yr old. Others wait closer to 1 1/2 yrs old. Mine are seasonal any frequent broodies, so for a few months I get nothing and I have to make sure to collect the eggs if I don't want a broody. Also weather change can really screw up egg laying for mine. Like right now it has been raining for 2days. My bantams are not laying and even the LF are not laying much. I would have much rather had snow for Christmas instead of rain. [​IMG] Or nothing at all. [​IMG]

8. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    Not very scientific here but I have 1 banty mistery bird. She is a banty, but She came from an amish guy that said she was a small chicken. SO your guess is as good as mine. But she lays 1 egg per day for 5 days strait, then takes one day break and starts for another 5 days and keeps this going. Her eggs are just a little bit bigger around than a quarter and they have a tint to them but it is a very light cream colored egg.

9. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    Happy Chooks do you have the ability to send a copy of the formating or any information on your spreadsheet? Or I guess a better question is are you willing?

10. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Cool so now I pepper you with questions...

About how old is she? When did she start laying? Is she still laying that way this time of year? How often does she go broody? And the most important question for any post...PICTURES of her???? (gotta have priorities???) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by