Bantam egg too small to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by laurarose, Jan 11, 2015.

1. laurarose

laurarose Out Of The Brooder

So this will be the first time I've incubated bantam eggs myself.

My Pekin (cochin) bantams have started laying again , well at least one of them has, I'm 90% sure the eggs will be fertile but I wondered if it was possible for the eggs to be too small? I only have one egg at the moment which weighs 32g.

Is there a limit to how small the egg can be?

Thanks!

2. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    If the bantam is a pullet then I would wailt a few months untill her eggs are larger but if she is more than a year old then you should be fine, I would try to choose the larger eggs though :) Bantams have to reproduce somehow, so egg size isn't really a problem since the chicks are small!

3. laurarose

laurarose Out Of The Brooder

Hi, thanks for the reply!
    Got another egg today and seems to also be particularly small. I'm unsure about ages as I got all 4 hens at auction, I think 2 May be pullets and two may be over a year. I did notice that these eggs seem smaller than the eggs I got from the older hens last year so these are probably the pullet eggs which is great cause I've been waiting so long for them to start laying.

Although I'm can't wait to start incubating I'll just have to wait!

4. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    No problem, I'm know a fair amount of people that have successfully incubated pullet eggs but I don't think that was in bantams, I'm pretty sure you could try it with some success, what is there to lose? The chicks would probably just a bit smaller and the hatch rate would be a bit lower than usual but it's worth it! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by