Bantam Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cyndiscof, Feb 17, 2014.

1. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    If a Bantam Hen has an egg fertilized by a full size rooster, can the chick be too big for the egg?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon

interesting question! I also await what others think.

3. FoxholeFarm

FoxholeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    I've been wondering this too! I have some bantam eggs in the incubator that came from a flock with a bantam roo and a couple Rhode Island Roos... I'm nervously wondering if I may end up with deformed chicks that are too big for their shells.

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    hmmm, I have always heard that the size of the egg determines the size of the chick. People do cross bantam and larger breeds all the time so they clearly do hatch.

5. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    yep I've heard that too. I have had old English game mixed with brahma before! Usually I have found that the size of the mothers usual every day egg is how big the egg will be. She won't lay a bigger egg.

6. FoxholeFarm

FoxholeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Berkeley, CA
    The eggs have started hatching and the chicks are definitely tiny! Don't know if that means they came from the Mille fleur rooster since there was one in the flock, or of these mixies are just petite but I have two fluffed out and a third in the middle of the zip now and all seems well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by