Bantam Faverolle Pullet - Opinions wanted about showing.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Matt A NC, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    This is Francesca. She was born Aug 15, 2009.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/matt_iag/Jan1910/Francesca1.jpg
    http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q308/matt_iag/Jan1910/Francesca2.jpg

I wasn't planning on showing this spring, but I am now thinking about it. The first show is Feb 13th. That would put her at 6 months old. The only other shows that are close this spring are in March.

Do ya'll think she is still too young? I know it is preferred for a pullet to be as close to a year as possible for show, but she looks fairly nice to my novice eyes. Her brother is looking nice as well. I am going to try and sell him at the March shows, but I was thinking of showing him first.

Matt

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I think she's looking great to be a young bird, but I'm not expert on SF's. Do you have a picture of the male stashed away on your computer somewhere?

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    She looks very nice her beard could be fuller but that may happen with age. I love her lacing and she seems to have nice type and foot feathering. Where did you get her I am breeding bantam faverolles and I am looking for new blood to add to my flock. I have some great hens now but would love to add a few that look like her. You can see the faverolles thread for pictures of my flock.

I say go ahead and show her she is reallhy nice.

Henry

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Kandace: I don't have a current picture of Franky(the male) right now. I have a great picture of their father when he was 9 months old. Favy Franky is in the end stage of his last molt to adult feathers, so I am waiting till he finishes.

hcammack: I have an adult pair that are their parents. Their mother, Francine, has a bad eye and cannot be shown. From the left side she is perfect, but her right eye waters because of damage to the inner eye lid. This mats up her beard on that side, so I keep it trimmed off. It is a physical condition that happened when she was about a year old.

Fran was Francine's mother and I got her from a friend that got her from Jaynie(jimnjay) out of georgia. That was before Jaynie lost her previous flock. I lost Fran to wet fowl pox over a year ago. Out of 100 birds we had to put down 4 and she was one of them. Fran Fran had a turned beak, but it never passed to any of her offspring.

The egg that produced Favy came from a friend in Boone, NC that no longer breeds them.

Matt

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I would be interested in trading eggs some time my flock is from Hattrick silkies and I will be crossing those pullets to my Jeff Oxley cockeral. I could to a mix of blue salmon and salmon or just salmon. I don't know how many eggs you will have but I really like the look of your hens and also Favy.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by