Bantam feet..help...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JodyJo, Apr 15, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I just picked up 15 new chicks, mix an match so to say, 2 little bantams, one black one looking like an Araucana bantam (we picked up 4 Araucana chicks from her as well) she didn't identify them, I will post pics later if I want them identified, my issue is the little one, tan, one of it's toes, curls under, it walks on it, the black one does not...is this a problem I need to fix now when it's little or will it grow out of it...? help...

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The toe is more than likely an incubator problem and will not grow out of the problem. Don

3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:The toe is more than likely an incubator problem and will not grow out of the problem. Don

is there something I can do to fix it...we picked this little one up almost minutes after he/she hatched, literally...I have seen articles on taping/splinting feet, toes..do you know anything about this?

4. juliette2009

juliette2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2009
    Wadmalaw Island, SC

is there something I can do to fix it...we picked this little one up almost minutes after he/she hatched, literally...I have seen articles on taping/splinting feet, toes..do you know anything about this?

Yes, you can help it...go here

Lots of pictures to help you!

Juliette

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    One of my chicks had this problem and I used a small piece of cardboard and sugical tape and taped his toes so that they were in the correct position onto the cardboard. He had a tough time walking at first, but got used to it quickly. After only a day and a half, his toes were fine. [​IMG] Good luck!

6. Freestylester Silkie's

Freestylester Silkie's Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2011
    Oss Holland
    You can help it. My chick had a too that was folded under his foot.
    I used a pice of an icecreamwood. I put it under the foot and put tape around it when it was in the right position. It would only take a day to get back in the right place.
    He even could walk beter with the splint than without it.
    Right now he is three weeks and you wouldend know he had something when he was born.
    He is big en running around.

7. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    thanks for the advice, he passed away, just too tiny to hang on....thanks anyway though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by