Bantam Gender (Silkie and Sebright)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TeacupandSaucer, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Sebright cockerel and Silkie cockerel?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Sebright pullet and Silkie pullet?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Sebright cockerel and Silkie pullet?

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Sebright pullet and Silkie cockerel?

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. TeacupandSaucer

TeacupandSaucer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Hi All,

First time with chickens but I am experienced with many types of birds. We have right now two chicks going on 6 weeks old, we bought them at 1 week old. I have my suspicions about their gender based on current combs and vent sexing at 1 week. I would like to know what others think I have here. First is a Chamois Sebright has started to posture at me and protests when I remove the Silkie from their sight, I am posting the best picture of the comb I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next two pictures are our Buff Silkie who scratches alot but other than that no noticable behaviour, vary docile as is typical for Silkies. Loving the mohawk right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I throw around my guesses I want some unbiased opinions perhaps from those who have kept these breeds/colours. Pullet or cockerel?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would say that the Sebright is likely a pullet. Silkies are very difficult to sex, but I'm going to go with male for him. Post some more pictures in a few weeks, and I may be able to tell a little better.

3. TeacupandSaucer

Aug 8, 2013
    Updated photos going on 10 weeks old;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The silkie is very timid and doesn't like photos the sebright yelled at the camera protesting quite a bit. The Sebright continues to be confrontational and has pecked several times at me and always meets me when I open the coop head high and very alert. The silkie runs and hides most often. Any more guesses on gender, I am hoping I don't have one of each because that would complicate living arrangements, two pullets great, two cockerals I will manage they are fun pets which is the main reason we got them. We have been referring to them as girls but would like to be accurate.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Full body shots would be a lot more helpful. The silkie I'm leaning towards pullet, can't tell with the sebright.

5. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    I think your Sebright is a roo. I am unsure about the sex of the Silkie

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that your Sebright is a pullet. I'm not sure on the Silkie.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Based on the recent pictures, both are girls.

8. TeacupandSaucer

Aug 8, 2013
    Time for an update and I was out enjoying my coffee with them so I thought I would take some photos. So they are 16 weeks old now and their temperament is starting to mellow out nicely. I have just put the squash in the oven so my little flock got the seeds. I tried this a few weeks ago and they couldn't get enough of them I bring it out today and they must have known cause they ran out and started eating out of the container before I got a chance to take some out, too much fun, anyways here are the better shots. Lets get one last batch of guesses because the next step is to wait for eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Te Sebright looks to be a pullet. At 16 weeks,the comb and wattles would be a lot bigger by now. The silkie I am not sure.

10. TeacupandSaucer

Aug 8, 2013
    She crows like a cockeral every morning and is very protective of the silkie, but from what I read this behaviour is common in sebright pullets, I think we have her right as a pullet with an attitude. Silkies are difficult overall but I have not seen any streamers or crown feathering developing, she definitely behaves like a pullet cooing happily and taking direction from the dominant sebright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by