Bantam Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lpiper, May 31, 2016.

1. lpiper

lpiper Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2016
    San Rafael, CA
    My Coop
    I was thinking these were both cockerels, and that the one with less comb was simply a runt as she/he has always been smaller, but now I'm wondering if it's possible it could still be a pullet? She/he is in the foreground with the other obvious cockerel, and then I've provided a close up of her face. They both are getting the cheek feathers. They are 7 1/2 wks old and are Millie Fleurs bantams.

I know I'm obsessing, but I can't help but want to know who's staying. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Could you get a full body picture?

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    My little booted bantam who is 8 weeks old still has next to no comb, and no colour to it if that's of any help. I'd say they are both boys.

4. lpiper

May 29, 2016
    San Rafael, CA
    My Coop
    Thank you both. Here are a couple of full-body pictures. Sounds like color of comb is a factor, and that makes sense. The pullets I have show no color in their tiny combs coming in. They are all almost 8 weeks. I'm a new chicken-owner so appreciate the input!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    Both are cockerels, sorry. They are Mille Fleur d'uccles Bantams. I had a rooster just like them. <3 Give the one with the littler comb some time and see if it develops any larger, etc.

6. lpiper

May 29, 2016
    San Rafael, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks so much. They are adorable so I feel bad they could end up in a small cage and sold for $5 at my feed store. Perhaps I should see if I can find them a home using Craig's List? Any recommendations? Roosters just aren't allowed in my immediate neighborhood but there are more rural areas in Marin and Sonoma counties that do.

7. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I have to agree with the other members :(, they are adorable though.

8. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    If you are a member of Facebook, you may be able to join a "Pets for Sale or Free" group page for your area/town. That way, you can list your roosters on there and easily sell them for $5.00 each or more, depends on what you want to ask for them. That's how I sold my extra roosters recently/ I got 11 Bantams from the bantam bin at Tractor Supply back in April and of the 11, only 4 were pullets/hens!

9. lpiper

May 29, 2016
    San Rafael, CA
    My Coop
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by