Bantam Grab bag special. What do you think they are? Newer 1 wk PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jessika, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Awesome forum here. I am so glad I found this place. But full of bad influences (I am now also waiting for my bator to get here in the mail now....ya I read old posts and just sounds like so much fun!). Well I also read on here about some of the hatcheries....and well....I now have 27 lil peppers in my dinning room delivered this morning. [​IMG] Thank you all for enabling a chicken addict! I mean that! LOL [​IMG]

It was hard to pass up

McMurray states ..."This special will be made up from all of the bantams we offer in our catalog. It is our choice but you will receive a minimum of 5 different breeds for each 25 chicks you order. "

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/bantam_bantam_grab_bag_special.html

and I do like my chickens....

We got them for a very good reason (or so it seamed Mwhahaha) Kids Grandma wanted more chickens...she is down to just a couple of Bantams. She is looking for a good dozen or more for her 4 acres. She just wanted them small. I only have Med - Lg laying birds.... no bantams. So kids and I found that bantam grab bag on line and the ever so easy on-line order form ...and well...I now have a brooder full of chicks and my dinning room glows with an eerie red light. [​IMG] I told her i would grow them to 9 weeks for her than she can chose some of them.

BTW they were sent out Wed and got here Thurs. I got the call at 6 am. All chicks alive plus 2 extras.

So anyone feel like taking a wild guess at what they are? I have never had bantams....and I don't even really remember what my adult birds looked like when they were little. (great idea guys for that chick id thread. That will be awesome when done). Some have feathers on feet...some don't...some are really really little...some are not....I have one huge chick (must not be a bantam but my free rare chick)....I have some fuzzier than others. I even have a neon yellow one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is that big chick..(must be the free rare chick)
    we call him Godzilla because he towers over the others..and picks on them a bit I may have to move him/her..we will see

[​IMG]

And more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    It is so hard to guess at that age. From the featherfooted ones you got some cochins.

Cute little buggers. [​IMG]

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    The feathered legged ones look like cochins-buff, partridge, black/blue. The bigger one, looks like a standard splash or blue cochin. The 2 little tan ones in the first picture on the right hand side in the top look like mille fleurs. It also looks like you have a few Golden Sebrights, Silver Duckwing Old English Game/B.B. Red Old English Game,a black and buff japanese or 2, and possibly a black rosecomb.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    Your guys guesses are better than mine! I have only raised Delawares, Buff Orps, SLW, leghorns, BR, black australorps, and assorted sex-links (last 2 I bought turned out to be GLW LOL).

This year I expanded to RIR, EE, GLW, and more of what I already had the year before.

While we are on the subject....I these were sold to me from feed store as a type of sex-links. Can anyone confirm ? After all I have an extra 2 GLW that were suppose to be sex-links. Oh well..I went and bought more to go with them. I never took chickens to this level before. I enjoy watching them....I take care of them (yet to lose a single bird or chick in the 1 1/2 years I have kept them...knock on wood, seems inevitable, nothing last forever) and I am always hanging outside with them and our Nubian goats. When it came to buying chicks....well I just picked up a few here and there at different feed stores.

I have only seen bantams at my mother in laws house or in pictures. LOL I have never seen face to face any of the birds mentioned (MIL has mixed breed bantams)....so was a great guess for me. What fun watching these guys/gals grow!

[​IMG]

5. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I think I see a lavender chick in there... might be a silkie! Congrats on the adorable fuzzbutts!

6. Ky Chicken Fan

Ky Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:This struck me as so funny, as I did the opposite. This spring my sister called me at work and said that the feed store had the chicks in, and that they had GLW. I asked her to get me 2 because they would all be gone before I got off work. When I went to pick them up I said "They sold you these as GLW's??" Yep, they said the gold ones... They are some flavor of red sex-links, different than the ones we got last year. So the next night after looking at tons of baby pics online, I went in and bought 2 laced looking babies under the red heat lights and the orange-y florescent lights. Got them home and had 2 baby barred rocks. So I wound up with 4 extra hens I didn't really need, and no GLW's that I really wanted. [​IMG]

Your new bantam babies are way too cute... when I bought the extras above, I also bought 1 little chipmunk chick very like yours. She is currently up for debate. We thought that she was a OEGB (and sort of still do after seeing some that look just like her at the state fair) but here on this board folks thought she is a Phoenix or something. There are several breeds that look like chipmunks (the baby silkie in my avatar is named Chip because she looked just like one) so I don't envy you figuring out what they are.

Good luck with your new babies!

7. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I'll bet you have at least one D'Uccle....lucky you!!

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Holy Cow Perfectly_Polish! [​IMG] Did you put the order together? Good eyes,,,,,,got me beat by a mile. [​IMG]

9. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Quote:[​IMG] No, if I put the order together I would have end of keeping all them [​IMG] Just named breeds I recognized as I went through the pictures, which is most of the chicks [​IMG]

10. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    And now after looking at the first picture again, it looks like the little black one with the white spot on its head is a bantam barred rock, or dominique. What kind of comb does it have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by