bantam guineas!!

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by fowlsessed, Dec 7, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    do bantam guineas exist? Anyone ever try breeding some? I want to try [​IMG] . Any advice someone might have? thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't believe there are any yet but that would be a interesting project to do!

3. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    There is not a bantam variety of Guinea Fowl that I know of, larger varieties have been developed, but not smaller so more than likely you would be starting from scratch [​IMG] It's common to get a few runts here and there from a typical backyard flock, but... usually they are runts/suffer stunted growth because of a genetic defect or underlying health/disease issue. The defects and/or health issues usually equate to failure to thrive and/or shorter lifespans. Getting them to breed true, and healthy would take a lot of time, effort and determination. I'm not saying it's not possible to develop a bantam variety... but it would most definitely be a time consuming, long drawn out project.

I wouldn't mind a flock of Mini-Guineas, just think how cute the little keets would be, lol [​IMG]

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I don't know if I would want a half sized guinea with an attitude!!!!! [​IMG] Also, just think how small the brain would be on a miniguni !

5. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Quote:It is interesting, brain size is not really a good indication of intelligence but brain size related to their body size is. For example toy dogs are not dumber on average than large breeds even though the larger breed has a bigger brain.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. ozguineafowl

ozguineafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    No, there are no 'bantam' in guinea fowls but I have read of the odd dwarf keet hatching only to die a few days later [​IMG]

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:It is interesting, brain size is not really a good indication of intelligence but brain size related to their body size is. For example toy dogs are not dumber on average than large breeds even though the larger breed has a bigger brain.

You would have to have guineas to get the joke. They are not know for being the smartest!

8. ozguineafowl

ozguineafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2011
    Quote:It is interesting, brain size is not really a good indication of intelligence.

Good point you make there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by