1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Hatching Advice Needed??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skeeter9, Sep 5, 2007.

1. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a shipment of Serama eggs on the way. Has anyone ever hatched Seramas? Anything I should know?

Lori

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Have you ever hatched bantams?? if you havent you might want to ask for bantam hatching advice.. I hear they are harder to hatch than standards..

Seramas are beautiful..
    Good Luck with your hatch..

3. skeeter9

Thanks for the advice - I'll try that

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Seramas are tiny! Good luck with your hatch. I've hatched bantam silkies and don't find it much harder than standards, just watch the air cell and make sure they don't dry out too fast since there is a greater surface area to volume ratio. Good luck! Especially with shipped eggs!

5. FluffyChickenMama

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    the only reason I say that is my cousin breeds and shows OEGB and I know seramas are a bit smaller.. I tried to hatch Silver Seabrights (with no luck) and I was asking his opinion as to what had happened and he told me that they are harder to hatch than the standards Im use to.. maybe he meant a smaller bantam breed.. not sure..

6. skeeter9

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind - I'm getting really tired of dealing with shipped eggs, but can't seem to find anyone in my area who breeds what I want. I'm trying to establish small breeding flocks of Welsummer, Marans, Blue Orpington and Serama that meet the breed standards.

Wish me luck!!

Lori

7. FluffyChickenMama

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:Good Luck.. I just got finished with the last hatchery I ordered from.. They were suppose to have sent me Welsummers for my flock and turns out I got Speckled Sussex. I had to get a refund. I kept waiting and looking at pics to make sure because I have never seen a Welsummer in person. Now Im out of luck.. but Im in the same position you are. I have had NO luck with hatching eggs either though.. Postal Service is rough on them..

8. skeeter9

I just hatched a couple of Welsummer babies last weekend. They are adorable. I'm going to try to hatch some more in early spring.

9. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hey there. I have hatched plenty of seramas out in the bator and the biggest thing I can tell you is stop turing them on day 17 at the latest. Mine are usually hatched at day 19. Everything else I do like I normally would for my other banty eggs.

10. skeeter9

Thanks, I was wondering about that. I am so excited!!! I hope the hatch goes well!!!

Do you have any pics of your Serama?

Lori

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by