Bantam hen acting strange..need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolina chicky, Dec 23, 2009.

1. carolina chicky

carolina chicky Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    I have a bantam hen that I bought a few months ago at a farm auction. She has been in the coop with 3 other bantam hens and 1 rooster since I got her. This morning I went out to feed her and she was balled up in the corner not moving. I picked her up and brought her in the house and she laid in my lap with her eyes shut and barely moved. I can't find any signs of her being egg bound or any cuts, etc. I have her in the house in a little kennel with food and water for now but I don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? I believe she is about 9 months old or so. She has been laying for about 4 months also. Thanks.

Oh yeah, that's her in the center of my display pic.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Songster

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Try to see if she is interested in food or water. Can you dribble some gatorade or other electrolytes into her beak?

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    You may want to give her a couple drops of Poly Vi-Sol (no iron). You can get it at Walmart. Give her some electrolytes and scramble her some eggs.

Did you check inside her vent?

4. carolina chicky

carolina chicky Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    I checked her vent and her abdomen but didn't feel anything. She is up walking around and looks normal now that I have her inside. I noticed the others were picking on her and chasing her earlier this morning so I dont know if that was the problem or not. They have all been together for a long time so I don't know whats wrong. Her poop looks normal but she isn't eating or drinking yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by