Bantam hen and regular sized roo...will it work?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 14 chickens & counting, Jan 20, 2011.

1. 14 chickens & counting

14 chickens & counting Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    ok...I know my bantam hen is laying.. but being a new chicken owner, I didn't think it was possible they were fertile because my only roo is "Full sized". Well, the other day I saw him on her and well, ya know.....so my question is what size egg will i get if my "big" roo is mating with my little bantam? I know where she has layed before and I know they were HER eggs because of the size. But know in the same area I am finding these medium sized eggs that aren't as small as what I found before with her, but not as big as my regular sized hens. So will the size of the roo/hen matter in the size of the eggs?[​IMG] Sorry if it seems like stupid question..[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The hen determines the size of the eggs. The rooster has input into the size of his daughters' eggs. If your hen is laying larger eggs than she previously did, it is only because she has matured. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.[​IMG] edited to add:[​IMG], and yes if the rooster "makes contact" the eggs will be fertile and should produce medium sized chickens. Be careful that he does not hurt the bantam hen.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    The size of the egg will not change. The only thing the roo is doing is fertilizing the egg. My hens lay larger eggs as they mature. Maybe this is what you are getting, or someone else is laying the eggs you are finding.

4. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:Thanks for the info..my little bantam shows no signs of being hurt(thank goodness).. Another question....let's say some of the eggs(from my own flock) hatch from the incubator....If I introduce these chicks into my current flock eventually....and my rooster in turn mates with them....will I get deformed chickens(ya know, father mating with his daughters?)[​IMG]

5. 14 chickens & counting

Jan 6, 2011
    Buena Vista, GA
    Quote:We are thinking those eggs do belong to someone else......It looks like I have a hen that has decided to lay in the same box! Silly girl.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by