bantam hen (Brahma???)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by firedove, Nov 10, 2008.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    This is one of our newest additions. I think she is a Brahma bantam pullet (you can't see really well in the pic but she is feather legged) but I'm not positive so I'm looking for some confirmation or other ideas. Also, if she is a Brahma would she be considered a light Brahma even though she has the black in her body feathers?

[​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

She looks somewhat like a light brahma, but looks to have too much black. Maybe a mix? [​IMG]

3. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Pullet. The light brahma hens have more of a white body, she looks more like a dark brahma. She is beautiful ! Our brahma hens are quiet and very tame. You will love them ![​IMG]

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's a pullet and a Light Brahma.

Looks like hatchery stock to me. (Came from a hatchery.)

The feathers on top are showing the gray down that's below the top feathers. The darker the down, the thicker the top feather needs to be to keep the dark gray down from showing.

Many breeders go for a lighter down so that the gray/black won't show up in the top feathers. Hatchery just goes for what looks like a bird...so they don't really care one way or another. Then again, other breeds go for the darkest gray down they can get and then worry about the top feathers later.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    She is a PQ dark brahma...a light brahma (even a pq one) would not have that kind of lacing on the body.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm going with mikarod on this one, light brahma.

Here's my buff brahma that has the lacing:

[​IMG]

I think it's luck of the draw from the hatcheries. My lights and buffs are not to the standard, but my darks are really close. My dark roo is exceptionally nice. It's very clear to me that whoever is supplying the dark brahma eggs to the hatchery is working on getting his breeding stock up to the standard. Hey, it happens.

7. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thank you everyone [​IMG] I really appreciate the responses. I bought her from someone at a chicken swap and didn't think to ask much about her at the time since I was just looking for a couple of bantams to hatch some eggs for me, but then I got curious [​IMG] Thanks again!

8. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think she is a mixbreed. She does not have the classic face of a Brahma.

9. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

What the heck...I'm gonna say light brahma and silver laced cochin cross. Very pretty.

I just rehomed a roo that could've been her brother...identical to her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by