Bantam Hen Broody for the First Time

Did you set fertile eggs under her?
You'll probably want to separate her from the main flock.
I have not put eggs under her; there are some already there. There is a good rooster to hen ratio, so I'm assuming they're fertile. I don't want to move her, because I might make her stop being broody, also she's in a good place and I don't think the others are bothering her. I might put up a partition in that part of the coop with food and water if that's a good idea.

I have not put eggs under her; there are some already there. There is a good rooster to hen ratio, so I'm assuming they're fertile. I don't want to move her, because I might make her stop being broody, also she's in a good place and I don't think the others are bothering her. I might put up a partition in that part of the coop with food and water if that's a good idea.
That sounds good.

Ok. Mark the eggs that are already under her then, and check every day to be sure no new eggs were added.
A partion is good. You don't want the others bothering her or the babies.
Make sure the food and water is far enough away that she has to go get it. At least a couple feet. Otherwise she'll poop on the eggs.
My bantam is broody and I am thinking that I should move her closer to the ground, her nest box and her eggs are up high. Should I do that?
How high are they?

Yeah. Maybe move her to a smaller coop or crate then?
This is how my broody is right now.
She's in a prefab coop.
20210316_124357.jpg

She has straw on her face. 🤣

I don't want the babies to fall over the edge.
I have my bantam broody in a nesting box incubating two eggs about three feet above the ground right now. On day 18, I will extend the lip of the nesting box to keep the newly hatched chick from falling out, and once the second chick hatches I will move all three of them to the floor of the broody pen, in a large well-ventilated box with straw. When the chicks are about two weeks old I will move them out of the box and let them hang out in the broody pen, mama bird can provide heat when needed. The broody pen is near the main coop, so they can socialize with the flock with the no-touch but see method. So that's my recommendation, make her a lip on the nesting box on day 18 (broodies are less likely to leave the nest for breaks during lockdown IMO) and once all the babies have hatched, move them to the ground in a well-ventilated box

Back
Top Bottom