Bantam Hen caught in a leg trap

roxanne

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Roanoke, VA
We have a terrible time with fox and raccoons this spring. Last spring my husband bought 6 leg traps. The chickens are all cooped up at night before the traps are set. We have had success in getting rid of the predators, but this morning, our momma hen
hit.gif
sad.png
got caught. She flew out of her nursery early this morning and got caught!! I knew something was caught, because I could hear something howling. It wasn't a predator, it was my poor sweet bantam momma.

It is obvious that her leg is broken!!! What can I do? I feel so terrible. We don't want to put her down. Can her leg heal? Can we splint it? Her leg is "cold" compared to her other leg, which tells me the blood supply has been severed. This is so terrible! I just hate varmints!
barnie.gif
I don't like these traps anymore - I want to get rid of them, but I am afraid I will loose all my chickens to the fox, raccoons and bob cats if we don't keep them out. Does anyone have any advice for what I can do for my hen and her leg - as well as other ways to get rid of the predetors?
he.gif

If she is a beloved pet, then my first suggestion to you is to get her to a vet... the damage is probably extenisive and the leg will need to be properly imobilized and an antibiotic given.

ETA: If you do not have an avian vet in your area, then have a think on giving an avian rehabber a call (below is a link to find one in your area) for their advice or knowledge on a vet that deals with birds in your area. Be sure to explain up front that this is a beloved pet and not a piece of livestock.
http://wildliferehabber.com/

Last edited:
i hate leg traps and this is why: they're vicious, non-lethal, and not target-specific. do think about other predator deterrent options.

i'm so sorry your little hen found one of these nasties. i hope you can help her mend or ease her passing, whichever seems most appropriate to your situation.

I know leg traps can be mean, however, there really isn't much of an alternative here where I live
barnie.gif
. I can't sit outside with a rifle 24/7 and shoot the predators. We do take as many precautions as possible, making sure the chickens are put up, however, the Momma hen was in the nursery with her chicks and so she wasn't in the regular coop. She normally never will fly out of the nursery, but this morning she did. I don't really need to be chastised, I feel bad enough as it is. I love my chickens and take pride in caring for them. This was an unfortunate accident. You wake up for an entire month and find out that you have lost a chicken to raccoons or fox. We had to do something. If you have another idea what would you suggest?

We washed and put antiseptic on the chicken's leg and splinted it with popsicle sticks all around. I appreciate
hugs.gif
those of you who gave encouraging support and advice on how to help my chicken. She is now tucked away quietly in a small cage in the garage, with water and food. I am getting some nutrients to add to her water to help her heal. I sure do hope that she mends.

Here is another question - she hatched
jumpy.gif
two chicks that are a little over a month old. They are now alone in the nursery. What should I do with them? Will they be alright without their momma? I really don't want them to die! This has really been a terrible day.

There is another option where you live. A humane trap. Im all for keeping your hens safe, but if you are having to put them down,or have legs amputated to do it, its not quite working out right? Those leg traps are banned in many places because they are so cruel. Get some traps that actually trap the animal, and then kindly blow their brains out. Your chicken most likely will lose the leg since it is cold. The thing to do when something like that happens is IMMEDIATELY take her to the vet, and if you cant, Kill her. Its selfish to keep a girl alive with her leg falling off, if you arent going to take her to the vet. Think of her. Please please please please get rid of those traps, they are garbage. Get some live traps, and if you are scared of a rifle, go out and buy a pump action pellet gun. Find out the max pressure it will use and put a pellet in the predators head. I feel so bad for your chicken. Sorry that happened.

Quote:
i definitely didn't intend to chastise you and i'm sorry you took it with that tone. i understand completely, as i live in the woods next to two different protected wilderness areas, which means foxes, racoons, coyotes, fishers, weasels, hawks, black bears.... could probably go on! i take the position that i'm in the predators' territory. it's my responsibility to protect my pets, kids, and stock to the best of my ability, but i can't begrudge the critters doing what critters naturally want to do. i know i'm in the extreme minority with that philosophy on this board. in fact, i've learned to not even read the pests and predators sub-forum because all the killing and maiming and backpatting jocularity depresses me. everyone has to make their own choices based on their situations, their philosophies on living, and their comfort zones. IMO, leg hold traps are so frighteningly random. they don't distinguish between fox, chicken, or child. that's just my feeling and i was sensing some reticence from you on the traps so i was trying to support that. that's all.

do whatever feels right.

Leg traps are not outlawed, as long as they do not have "teeth" which ours do not. They are just smooth steel. I do not have a vet around here that will see chickens.

Fox will not go into live traps - that is why they are called sly fox. They just won't go into anything. We are really in a predicament here - - and now with the injured chicken, it is not easy. I don't want to loose a chicken to a predator or a trap. IT just has not been a good day
sad.png

Oh, i'm so sorry. Have you tried a regular vet? Sounds like an amputation and antibiotics are in order. Or put her down and finish brooding the chicks yourself. What a terrible thing, I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Back
Top Bottom