Bantam hen foam in mouth/deep breaths- pics and video

UrbanPHXChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013

My one year old bantam, Teeny, was noticed last night right before bed time being a little off- she was just standing around (she usually very active and foraging the last before heading to the coop). I did a quick exam on her and didn't notice anything that seemed wrong, no bound egg, full crop, eyes & nose look good. However, she refused food (apple sauce and meal worms- her favorite).

This AM she is refusing food and water. Of most concern, she had shaken her head a few times and a clear foam comes out. She is smacking her mouth like she is eating, and also seems to be taking an occasional deep breath from her beak. Her crop is empty- no foul breathe smell, and she seems to have normal droppings.

My initial thought is that she has ingested some kind of toxin. We have a ton of mature oleanders in our yard, which are obviously poisonous. Though, they are smart and understand they don't eat them (perhaps she did accidentally). I tried to give her 0.1 CC of Nutri-drench by mouth, but minutes later it appears it came up with the foam in her mouth- I don't think anything got in her.

What course of action should I take? Chicken vet is closed on Sundays, and frankly I've taken 2 chickens to the vet both with frustrating outcomes of $200+ bills and no diagnosis.

I have brought her in the house and set her in the quiet bathroom, it's going to be very hot outside today. She is also very skiddish and seems stressed when I handle her.

Thank you to anyone for guidance. This forum is a terrific resource.

Last edited:

UrbanPHXChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
New info- I got her to eat a few bites of applesauce. A few minutes later she shook her head and it came flying out. She keeps trying to swallow. I can't see anything in her mouth

UrbanPHXChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Teeny is still hanging in there. I consulted the Chicken Health Handbook and it seems the symptoms for oleander poisoning includes diarrhea- which she does not have.
The foam is giving her problems breathing. She keeps trying to swallow the foam and I hear bubbling sometimes. She seems to be weakening a little more. I was able to get her to eat a couple meal worms and have forced about 0.5 cc of Nutri-drench which perked her up for a bit. I got a a little VetRx in her and rubbed some of the solution on her chest and neck. I've also given her some water by syringe. I'm concerned about forcing fluids down her and making her choke. She's hacked up the whole pieces of meal worm along with a clear snotty type mucus. She had two normal droppings earlier in the day and the last two have been a little more runny and look like they have the clear mucus as well.
I'm not sure if anything is actually getting into her crop. I hope someone knowledgable sees this. I feel like she can be helped at this point. :(

UrbanPHXChicks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
She is doing MUCH better so far today. In case this helps anyone else- here's what I did.

I gave Teeny (bantam) about 0.5 cc of Nutri-Drench directly into her beak twice yesterday. I also gave her her a little VetRX solution on her head, under wings and her chest, and a tiny amount in her beak. She did not eat much at all yesterday, but I managed to get a few meal worms and a couple bites of apple sauce in her. I also gave a little water by syringe in her mouth throughout the day. The foaming didn't seem to go away and got a little worse when I gave her water once. I did try to work the foam out of her throat a few times (it was giving her a hard time breathing) and I cleared it out of her beak. By the end of the day she was drinking water on her own, but still not eating.
Today she is eating like normal and I watched her chase a butterfly.

I believe she must have ate something bad I guess.

Top Bottom