Bantam Hen Has swollen Eye and stuffed nose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srpro, Nov 14, 2013.

1. srpro

srpro New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    My Fav Banty has a swollen right eye when I saw her her eye was covered with fuzz like soap bubbles. I cleaned her eye with a little peroxide and warm water?? ( please don't be the totally wrong thing to do! ) And At This Point she started sneezing. I cleaned her beak and nose cleaned out the eye gave her water and food. and quarantined her. The other day I saw her get tripped over by my big dog and it sent her flying she didn't seem to be hurt at the time. I am just praying That this is a bacterial infection from something in her eye. and not a resp disease. she is of good weight, eating and drinking well, and very active and curious at this point. Any thoughts?
    Also none of my other hens are showing any signs of illness at this point. I have 24 random breed hens and 1 roo, I have been raising these and their babies for about three years now but still a newbe

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hello srpro,
    I'm sorry your girl is unwell. Unfortunately if there's sneezing it could well be respiratory rather than an eye injury (mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a respiratory disease agent, can affect the eye area, as can coryza).
    Being chased by a dog can certainly stress the bird enough to have an underlying condition show itself. (Birds that are kept free of stress and looked after really well often don't show symptoms at all, but can still be carriers.)
    On the other hand it could be eye damage, but I suspect you'd be able to see the injury while cleaning her up, so it seems a bit less likely -- sorry to say that.
    I would keep up with the quarantine, and pay particular attention to washing hands etc, while keeping up the TLC. Eye bathing is perhaps best done with saline solution (a teaspoon of salt per cup of boiled cooled water) as I'm not sure peroxide won't burn the cornea. You might also try dabbing Betadine around the eye area, though not wiping the eyeball itself. The eyelid will probably swell right up, and I'm afraid that's very hard to treat as chicken pus is solid, like cheese, but some people have made a difference doing this.
    In my backyard I don't put up with respiratory disease; I cull. This is because many respiratory diseases stay hidden in the bird even if it survives, and some (like MG) are passed in the egg. However those who do treat for it use antibiotics like Tylan. Reading up on other eye/MG threads should give useful details.
    best of luck
    Erica

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is some information about respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma, coryza, and infectious bronchitis among others with symptoms and recommended treatments. Do not use hydrogen peroxide or betadine in the eye, only saline. Neopsporin or other antibiotic eye ointment is fine. Tylan50 injection would be a good drug to use if you choose to treat. Click on this link for diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. srpro

srpro New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    The dog and the chicken know and live together He just didn't see her. she wasn't being chased. Thank you for the info. I hope I don't lose her.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The sooner she gets on antibiotics the sooner she will improve hopefully. You can slo give this medicine by mouth 1/4 cc/ml daily for 5 days, but be careful not to choke her. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by