Bantam hen prolaps

JoanieMay0223

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 19, 2012
Maine, USA
My hen has had a prolapse for 4 days. I sucessfjully got it back inside for a day, but it came back out. I have used prep H and lubricated it etc. Cleaned her up several times a day. She developed a thick white crust around the vent overnight, I have not been able to remove this, I have used mineral oil, to soften it, soaked it with warm water put neosporin around it to hopefully prevent infection. I have put the prep H inside her vent using the applicator. Now she is drinking, but the water comes right back up. Her crop is full, soft, I think it must be water. There has to be a blockage somewhere. I do not want her to suffer, is there any hope for her or should I , sigh, cull her? What is the best way to cull, I do not want to hurt her or have her suffer. My chickens are my pets, I cannot do the culling, I will have to have help. Please help me. Thanks so much. Joan

I have a bantam White Leghorn that prolapsed. I managed to save her, and she went on to lay eggs. You can read her story here:
http://www.hencam.com/henblog/2007/07/folk-medicine-cure/
I'm concerned that your hen isn't able to keep down water. I'd give you hen a nice long soak in a warm bath with epsom salts in it. That relaxes her and will help things move along. I'd also give her a teaspoon of olive oil (use an eye dropper at the back of her throat. Make sure she swallows, so you don't get it into the lungs.) That said, if this goes on for another day and she can't keep down fluids, I would euthanize her. Sorry.

Thanks Terry. I will try these things and hope for the best. With the dry white caking on her vent / prolapse I don't think it will go back inside, not that the protrusion is large or tht the caking is a large lump, it is like a thick coating, but it is quite unflexible.. I am also wondering about infection if I can ease it back inside with the coating on it. The part of the prolapse is very dark red, almost liver colored. Poor baby. Thanks again for you help..

Back
Top Bottom