bantam hen sitting on eggs ! how many large hen eggs will she be fit to sit on ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pmon651, Mar 3, 2013.

1. pmon651

pmon651 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    its currently sitting on 3 hen eggs , but would hope it could take more [​IMG]

also its in a small house with a few other bantams ( and no rooster) and they've started to pick at the hens head ripping off its feathers .[​IMG] should i move the clocking hen? i want it to continue to clock and so don't want to disturb it too much ! would it prefer company ?
    first time we've had a clocking hen and so any help advice would be appreciated

thanks
    pmone651

[​IMG]

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    The Hen should be by herself. She sure doesn't need other chickens pecking her & pulling out her feathers. Are these your own eggs??? If they are & you don't have a rooster they would not be fertile. She probably could handle 6 or 8, if they are Bantam eggs. It depends on how big the hen is.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  3. sundayafternoon

sundayafternoon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Hi- I don't know about moving her. I think most people suggest not to do it or if you do to move her at night so it doesn't bother her as much. It can cause her to loose interest in the eggs if you move her. Mine is broody now and she was never moved away from the other chickens but they were not picking on her. As for the number of eggs one of my bantam RIR's had 6 standard size eggs under her no problem and my other bantam RIR is sitting on 5 huge duck eggs with no problem, so you could probably add more than 3. I read before that a bantam can take 8-10 standard eggs and I believe it because I have gone in and found others laid in her nest and she was one day sitting on 7 large eggs and 3 bantam eggs and I couldn't even see them all until I picked her up.

4. pmon651

pmon651 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    these are my own eggs that are out of my larger hens which have a rooster ( i keep the bantams and larger fowl seperately )

5. pmon651

pmon651 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    she doesnt seem interested in other eggs that have been laid beside her, what should i do as regards moving her split the house ?

6. sundayafternoon

sundayafternoon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    If you can leave her where she is and divide her off from the others that is probably the best thing to do in my opinion. Other people have brooder boxes and other coops etc to keep broody hens in but I don't have that right now so I just divide her a spot off from everyone else in my coop. I just did it today.

7. pmon651

pmon651 New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    unfortunately i took maters into my own hands and moved her form the house to a rabbit house which i no longer need [​IMG] unfortunately she lost interest in the eggs straight away , any tips for encouraging (re-encouraging) a hen to sit on eggs
    p.s. she is currently back in the original house with the rest of the bantams

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I would bput her back where she was, the other hens are bugging her because they want to set, or because that is the favored nest. I would enclose her if you can and let her out once a day to eat and poo- yes she will hold it. she can be out for 15 min. and then put her back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by