Bantam Hen Swollen Face + Wattles + Ear Lobes

anna mossette

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 14, 2013
North Alabama
Wondering if any one has any thoughts on this:

My husband went to let the birds out yesterday morning and one of our mixed breed bantam hens face, wattles, earlobes and one eye were significantly swollen as well as her eyes are slightly dilated. It had been below freezing the night before. They are housed in a sturdy solid wood coop, we closed all the windows for the winter with the exception of a narrow ventilation space just below the roof. (we have since put heat lamps in the coop)

She does not have any mucus, or drainage. She is not acting sick, has a good appetite and is drinking plenty of water. I do not think it is Marek's (I hope it is not) and none of the other birds are exhibiting any symptoms.
We brought her inside, put her in a bathroom where I ran the shower and added some eucalyptus to the water so she could inhale the steam. It seemed to help but only slightly.
If anyone has had a similar situation and may know what this could be I would greatly appreciate your in put.

Pictures Attached

Many Thanks in Advance
Anna Mossette

Is it possible that she was bitten by a tick or insect? Those can cause similar symptoms, but usually those symptoms are associated with mycoplasma (MG) infection of the respiratory tract and sinuses. If you suspect a tick or insect bite, you can try giving a half of a childrens dose of Benadryl or 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet orally, but only give it one time. For respiratory diseases such as MG, coryza, and others, Tylan 50 is frequently used. Dosage for a bantam would be 1/4 ml orally for 5 days, or given as a shot into the breast for 3 days. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

EGGCESSIVE Thank You so very much for your reply.

I inspected her closely and could not see any puncture wounds, but that doesn't mean they were not there. I gave her a Bantam size dose of Children's Benadryl last night and today she is looking so much better this morning. Allergic reaction did not ever dawn on me. Thank you again.

Your welcome, and I'm so glad the benadryl helped. If you notice more insects or ticks, then dusting her with Sevin dust or permethrin may help to keep them away.

Back
Top Bottom