bantam hen thinks she is a man

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spring Chook, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    I started off my flock with 3 bantams. At first they all layed fine, but then Bertha, the eldest, went broody for a few weeks and stopped laying. She then had an attack of scaly leg mites which I didnt notice till they were quite bad. I managed to heal the mite problem ( cider vinegar and vaseline), but since then she hasnt laid a single egg. She appears to be at the top of the pecking order so I'm wondering whether she has taken on the Rooster role. Is this common? and is there anything I can do to get her laying again? (I dont have a rooster and the neighbours would go nuts if I got one)
    thanks

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG]

I've got six perfectly healthy hens and none of them are laying now, so I don't think that is necessarily a sign that she is a "rooster". They are taking a winter break now, and she probably needs a well-deserved rest. Glad to hear that she is spunky again!

3. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Sounds like she has just stopped for the winter, i wouldn't worry

4. Spring Chook

Spring Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Topanga
    I would have thought she'd stopped for the winter too but .... she stopped laying over 3 months ago when it was still very sunny and warm(i'm in california). I read somewhere that sometimes, when you dont have a rooster, one of the ladies will take on the rooster role. Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by