Bantam hen with leg straight back

naturegirlmn

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
I noticed a couple roosters gathered by a hen on the lawn and went down to see she couldn't stand up and one leg was straight out behind her. I picked her up and massaged her joints some and her leg could bend, etc, but didn't seem right as in She wasn't fighting any movement or moving it on her own. Most of the time she is not able to put any weight on it. I put her in a nest box and have gotten her out to eat and drink, but she isn't recovering on her own.

I felt all over and it seems pretty normal. I have been getting her legs under her when I set her down and she stays that way until she decides to move. I find her with her right leg straight back then.

This is a bantam? Are the roosters bantams or standards? She's a bit old for Mareks, but it can show up at any age. That generally gets worse. An injury should stay the same or improve. You could try a sling. @Wyorp Rock I think has a good picture of one. Hopefully she will come along and give some advice, otherwise @Eggcessive is very smart too.

I wish I could be of more help. It would be best to observe her to see if she improves or gets worse. I would probably try to assist her with eating and drinking, and keep her away from others who may harm her. Dog crates or a basket with food and water is good for separating. Holding her leg straight back sounds like Mareks, but she may have also been injured. Mareks generally causes weakness in one or both legs or wings. They may use their wings to balance and to get around.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen. Hopefully it's just an injury and she will recovery with rest and supportive care. There's always a possibility of Marek's.

Here's one sling that would be fairly easy to make, it may make her more comfortable. She would need to be monitored, some chickens don't tolerate a sling.

It seems worse and both legs are not right. Her name is Little Peep. We lost a hen about a month ago to most likely Mareks. She presented with wry neck first and we tried everything. She was 2. We currently have many hens molting. It has been a cold and damp spring. May be possible she got into something she shouldn't have. They free range. I will have to look into sling options. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom