1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HankGa, May 12, 2008.

1. HankGa

HankGa Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    We have one bantam hen and one rooster we purchased February of this year. At the begining of spring the hen layed several eggs and now has stopped laying . She hasn't lay in a month or so. Not sure what went wrong ? We are feeding Purina Layena . The only thing that has changed is we purchased 2 Rhode Island Reds Chicks and put them in a coop that joins their coop. Any ideas ??

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well, as soon as i had baby chicks around this spring.....i had 5 hens go broody instantly and try to hatch their own [​IMG] I dont know at what point they stop laying when they try to hatch but is your acting broody at all? That is the first thing that i thought of [​IMG]

.....or maybe she's protesting being the only hen

3. HankGa

May 12, 2008
    Thanks Lurky for the fast reply. She does not appear to be broody at all. Do you think I need a visual barrier between the Reds and the bantams ?? Thats really the only thing that I can think of. Touchy little thing she is .

WOW and thanks egh

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I wouldn't think that seeing the others would stop her from laying. But i am certainly no expert. I suppose it could also be an age thing, a breed thing and even a bantam thing.....a molting thing.....maybe she is going to start molting. My birds dont always lay all the time. I guess its possible it could be stress too.....i think a rooster will over-mate one poor girl. I have a bantam rooster in a coop with 9 full size hens and there are 4 with bald spots on the back of the heads from him holding on.....so even with 9 big girls he is wearing 4 right out. She might need a break [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  5. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I vote with age.

The hen might be 3-7 years old. Still she should lay 2 or 3 dozen eggs.

Maybe oyster shell is missing.

6. HankGa

May 12, 2008
    If you don't mind Ill bring this back to the top for a update. We tried everything and as you can see by the dates of my post its been a month and still no eggs. Shes a beautiful bird and we wonted to raise some chicks off of her. Not sure what else to try ? Next time theres a poultry sale in my area Ill by more hens to put with her ?

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    My RIR is very sensitive about having anyone "see" her lay her egg. I am thinking of getting a curtain to put on the entrance of a nest box. I have had her get off the nest if there was too much going on near where she was laying, (nothing other than daily stuff),go back later, try again and if she doesn't get it done at that point, it will be the next day.

That said, I think a barrier would be a good idea, as well as friends her size to socialize with.

Good luck with your sweet girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by