Bantam hid a nest. going to be winter. In New England

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dgh, Aug 28, 2013.

1. dgh

dgh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    **** bird. Bantam hid a nest. going to be winter. In New England should I kill the eggs, I have no idea how old they are. Or should I pay for heat etc all winter? Dab Nabit.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Why not let her brood? Does it snow there? I'd think unless it's always frozen she might be able to rear them, especially if you give her a little coop that doesn't get snowed in.

3. dgh

dgh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Does it snow? this is New England. It will be a tundra from Nov to March. Great lengths to keep water from freezing. Snow, frozen chicken breath on the ceiling. trying to keep feet and combs from freezing. not good to have brood. She will not be able to keep them warm until spring. I will have to heat the barn and it costs about $178.00 per month for the winter.

Oh, I just noticed you are in Australia, New England has not much meaning in terms of weather/ We are on the north east coast.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Unless you just don't want chicks, I would be inclined to let her go ahead and keep brooding if the main question is the weather. It sounds like they will hatch by mid September, so they should be 6 weeks or more old by Nov 1 and should be pretty much feathered out. I would think they will be OK at that age as long as they have someplace to go in the barn, where ever you keep your other chickens.

5. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    i live in New Hampshire(New England) My broody hatched 3 chicks last November 1st, she did well and everyone lived without heat except for a heated waterer to keep the water from freezing. I think that they have a good chance.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by