1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam ID help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Blondi, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Blondi

Blondi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    I am VERY new to the "chicken world" I was given two unwanted bantams. I have been doing my research but holy moly there is a lot to learn! So far I have 5 star predator proof accommodations and basic food/water needs down, but I'm still learning! These two were going to be destroyed, but they are the most entertaining little things, and one of them is an egg laying machine! Anyway, can someone tell me what breed of bantam they are? Neither one crows, they actually make little chirping sounds almost like turkeys!
    Thanks in advance!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I think their mixed breed but not positive. The first almost looks like a silver Dutch, well anyway I'm not even sure if I have the name right. Hope someone else chimes in :)

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I think they may both be hatchery grade Silver Dutch bantam pullets.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Does the first hen have fuzzy cheeks (muffs) and a pea comb (looks like 3 rows of little bumps)? The second also looks to have the muffs (fuzzy cheeks) and a crest (feathers sticking up behind the comb)? Can you get a close up shot of their heads?

5. Blondi

Blondi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2014
    I can try when I get home today and yes you are exactly right, little muffs and the one does have a comb!
    Thanks!

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Not Silver Dutch. I, too, am seeing muffs and a possible pea comb. They may be Ameraucana or Easter Egger bantam mixes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3. Better information makes all the difference in the world.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by