1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam ID please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BCJC1982, Apr 9, 2016.

1. BCJC1982

BCJC1982 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2016
    Ok so I bought 36 bantam eggs from a trade days and I thought I was getting all Japanese white black tailed bantams. Those were the only birds he had for sell and that is what

he told me when I bought them. About half of them were fertile but for 8 dollars per 18 hatching eggs I wasn't too dismayed. All of the fertile eggs hatched and they all came out different. I don't really know what any of them are they may all be cross breeds but one of the little chickens had 5 toes. But it doesn't look anything like the birds that are known to have 5 toes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BCJC1982

Feb 21, 2016
    Went and looked at the rest of them and i have another 2 or 3 with 5 toes as well. None of them have feathers down their legs.

3. chickslaugh

chickslaugh New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    Hello BC,

I was looking at different breeds of Bantams and there are two that look similar to your chick. The first one is a Black Frizzle Cochin Bantam. These birds are Chinse bred with the sweetest personalities, although they are not known for their egg laying production. The next I would have to guess would be the Black Silkie Bantam. These birds were bred in China, they have a sweet personality as well, the lap dogs of chicken world. This breed is unusual because of their 5 toes instead of four. Of course I'm not greatly experienced with chickens but I did find all this information on a chicken website, mypetchicken.com. Hope I helped at least a little bit. Hope you find out more information about this little cutie.

4. JaeG

JaeG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    If it was a silkie cross it would have black skin (including legs and feet) and feathered legs. Cochin bantams (and crosses) would have feathered legs also. Apparently 5 toes can crop up as an occasional anomaly even in regular 4 toed breeds. It could be a birchen or mottled Japanese bantam. I'm really not sure. Very cute little chick though.

1 person likes this.
  5. BCJC1982

Feb 21, 2016
    None of the birds have feathered legs. I have read since posting this that Japanese bantams have 5 toes some of them at least so I am just thinking I got a bunch of mutts lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by