Bantam identification and gender question help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by N&MSchroeder, Jun 27, 2011.

1. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I need help identifying a bantam. I brought her home the third week of April, so she is approximately 10-11 weeks old. I don't know what breed she is but always thought she was a pullet until recently. While I don't think she looks overly much like a cockerel, she sure acts like one! I recently moved 2 groups of bantams into a 8x10 coop (20 bantams total). They have done quite well because they have plenty of space, but she is certainly in on the action. I have a friend who wants her/him whether she is a roo or not. I'm just curious to know what she/he is. Can anyone help?

Here are some pics.
    Alone
    [​IMG]
    With a group
    [​IMG]
    As a chick
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Can we get a better pic of the comb? If it has a rose comb, I would suspect it is a D'Anver.

3. HappyFarmLady

HappyFarmLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    NE Kansas
    It looks a little like the pic I just posted to ask for help also!! I am thinking mine is a roo.
    [​IMG]

BTW: mine is EE

4. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    That is one pretty bird! Let us know if you find what she is; I'm so getting one!

5. N&MSchroeder

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Thanks everyone for the comments. HappyFarmLady, I believe we have the same chick! [​IMG] akcountrygirl, she just developed the beard a week or so ago. I was thinking that she may be an Andalusian, but the beard development threw me. Here is a better pic of her comb.

[​IMG]

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    It looks like she has a pea comb so I would say she is an Easter Egger. Right now, nothing is screaming roo but I would keep an eye on her. If the red she seems to be getting over the shoulders continues to develop and intensify and if she starts getting pointy hackle (neck) and saddle feathers (right in front of the tail) or if it crows. Then you have a roo on your hands. EEs are notorious for keeping us guessing.

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    i say he a boy comb is realy red

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    That is a handsome EE roo. The comb itself is enough to be suspicious, but when I looked reeeeaaally close at the wings, there is red leakage on them.

He's going to be gorgeous! You should have no problems re-homing if you can't keep him.

9. N&MSchroeder

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Thanks everyone! [​IMG] It isn't a problem if he is a roo. Like I said, I have a friend who fell in love with him and will be taking him later this week. I was just curious to know what he is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by