Bantam in general thread?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    how about a thread that we just talk bantams, improvements on projects, breeds, colors, and type?

Anybody?

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i have a bantam cochin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i love bantams and wanna get more of them!!!

3. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    We have a thread about stewardship projects and -
    -I am saving and improving an old local breed from extinction (Bow lake, Gold Birchen, and English Partridge)
    -sjarvis is working on improving Rosecombs and OEGs (Dozens of colors)

4. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    what are bow lakes?

never heard of them...

5. ChickenBantam

ChickenBantam Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Here are my hens. Cashew's the red one, she's a d'uccle bantam hen. And harry's the white one, she's a silkie bantam hen. I got them in a group and didn't know I had a d'uccle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Of course you haven't. It's not like you possibly could have. You see, they are a newly considered breed, altho' nobody has any guess how old the breed is, it's been raised locally here for quite some time, and has already contributed genetic material to new breeds, such as the Double-Laced Sebright, and possibly the Ginger Sebrights (unconfirmed). Well, my experience and the birth of the Bow Lake fowl occurred when my BBRed OEGB cock died of Pneumonia during a harsh cold-rainy stretch, typical of our autumns up here. I would eventually answer an ad at the feed mill and find the breed. They had been raised by the originator for so long, that, although there was no attempt to breed them to any standard or Color variety, they were tapering into a very conformed breed and the genetics were narrowing to one color: Gold Birchen. It was amazing how they looked so similar in type to all their relatives, and there was a nice variety of varieties: Crele, English Partrdge, Gold Birchen, Black, Barred Copper, Speckled White, and Dark. Almost all these colors (except Gold Birchen and Barred Copper), were represented by only a handful of specimens, with the other two colors flourishing. The Type as I would describe is simple: The body is Langshan-shaped, the tail is often quite erect, the breast is very full and meaty, and the shanks of the legs are finely feathered, like a North Holland Blue. They were always Single-Combed. I had tried to get the breed recognised by Feathersite, but the fellow told me I had to get a True-Breeding pair. Okay. I contacted the originator to inquire about some more stock, and unfortunately, I found out the last sparable birds had been falsely distributed as mutts. So the fate of the breed lies in the hands of three people: Myself, the Originator, and God. I raise the Gold Birchen and English Partridge varieties.
    [​IMG]
    Above is the world's last English Partridge (Genome: S/S, Ap/ap+) Bow Lake fowl. All the others have died long ago of old age, and this one miraculously appeared as apenetrance in the Barred Copper flock.
    [​IMG]
    And this is one of many Gold Birchen roosters alive.
    [​IMG]
    You should be able to see the leg feathering in the above photograph.

7. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I don't really know what breed these two are but I know their some type of bantam. They look bigger in the pictures but trust me their tiny, My brother gave them to me he was using them as coyote bait [​IMG]
    Thor
    [​IMG]
    Kratos
    [​IMG]

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Here are some of my bantams

Hamburgs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old English Game bantam (not SQ)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am mainly working on improving the color in the Hamburgs. The OEGBs are intended for a undisclosed project.

9. Ducks and Banny hens

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:Undisclosed... my favourite. I have a secret project going on right now, but that's with LF ducks so it doesn't apply to this thread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by