Bantam is going blind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lacrystol, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    We are going on our third week and this bantam isn't improving in fact she seems to be getting worst. First week we put eye ointment on one eye. Second week we did eye ointment for both eyes because the other one started closing, I also gave her vitamin e the second week and b2. Now we are going into the third week, right now I have neosprin on both eyes and we are giving her poly iol. I think I maybe to late because it does look like she has a white coating on the actually eye. I thinks she blind, i also gave her shots of antibiotics during the second week with no improvements, she eats but only if I water down the food like in the video where she almost steps in it. Any more suggestions on what to do?

Here's another video of her close up. Both eyes are like this, yes she can open them but only for a second or two..

Sent from my iPad

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    The first video says private and it hard to see her eyes in the second video. Can you post a close up pics of the eye open?

3. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I will try she doesn't like to keep them opened..

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    here's some pictures, I could not get her with the eye opened, there's too much swelling and when she opens them it's for a split second. the last picture is her upside down because it's the only way I could get a clear picture. But both eyes are swelled up really bad. The white line in between the eye lids that is the bottom of her eye swelled up... They look greasy because I do have neosporin on them. I can't get the swelling down. I'm wondering if it has to do with her brain or head. I did try to look at her eyes and they looked cloudy, I could see her eye but there's a slight fog, I'm wondering if thats just because of the neosporin..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    ...I would stop the neosporin immediately and switch to terramycin, or tobramycin...neosporin in my experience, is too harsh for many animals, especially in the eyes. Many antibiotic ointments can actually burn and damage delicate tissue. We do not use it on the wildlife that come in with injuries for that very reason. Infact, we have seen injuries made much worse by well meaning people who have used it on animals before they get to us...

Those eyes are quite swollen. Are there any other symptoms? Fowl odor, runny nose, etc? If the eyes are her only symptom I would definately stop neosporin asap.

Edit: the video does not show any other obvious symptoms, but her eyes are definately bothering her. You may be able to just stop the neosporin for a few days, and flush her eyes with saline (contact solution) really well a couple times a day.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Well first of all i just started the neosporin just tonight, before that I have been using terramycin. I have been using that for 2 weeks with NO results except the eyes were getting worst. The Terramycin was NOT helping at all so I tried something different..

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Hm [​IMG] maybe someone with better experience than myself will stop by with a better solution. Honestly, the pictures immediately made me think of coryza, but I have no experience with the disease.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    There are no other symptoms, there's no odors, no nasal discharge, no runny nose, no sneezing, nothing but the swollen eyes, She does shake her head. i thought perhaps wry neck, does wry neck cause, swelling like this with the eyes???? I have had my dealings with wry neck and never notice the swelling before.. There's not even a discharge coming from the eyes..

9. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Any suggestions on swollen eyes

10. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Do you have her on any antibiotics? She could have gotten poop in eyes or something else in her eye and gotten infected. If you give her antibiotics then give her some yogurt or other probiotics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by