Bantam just died...NOW WE LOST HER BABY!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lacrystol, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Bantam, 3 years, 2 pounds (I think)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    In a dark corner, all puffied up..

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Just noticed it tonight

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No yet at least.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    Not that I noticed

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Have no clue

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    drank tons of water before she passed away. Did not eat.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    here's her poop before she died:[​IMG]

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Gave her some Polyvisol

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Would have like to take care of it myself.

Couple of BYC's thought maybe she was poisoned by something in the yard, which is possible, she had 6 babies that she was taken care of and she didn't want anything to do with them. I have a lot of chickens and I'm worried her death could wipe them all out...

before she died, she went into convulsions, legs got really stiff, and all this fluid came out of her mouth.. A Ton of Fluids, kind of fog/brown looking..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    I'm so sorry [​IMG]
    Have you considered snail bait poisoning? That would account for the convulsions, diarrhoea and vomiting of fluid. Do your chickens free range? Could they have been in a neighbours garden? If they free range I would recommend keeping them inside for a few days, and having a really thorough look around your lawn and if possible , water well , in case something poisonous has been thrown into your yard. The only plant I can think of that might poison a chicken is Brunfelsia ('yesterday, today , tomorrow') which has purple and white flowers.

I have heard that coccidosis causes the bloody stools, but not sure if convulsions are also a symptom.

I hope your other chickens are OK.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The drinking tons of water..that may be poisoning. neighbors have mice/rats/bugs? could have been unintentional....
    I'm sorry for your loss.

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Quote:Yes they are free ranging right now, from the picture of her poop would you say that poision would do that? Hawk wouldn't go far, because she had 6 kids that she was taken care of. This morning when I went to check on them, I noticed 5 of the babies were doing great and one of her babies was now acting odd... He was chirping and chirping and chirping, he came right to me, I picked him up and he just chirped. I brought him in the house under the heating lamp. I watched him for a little bit because i had to get to work and noticed he was not keeping his balance. He was still chirping, he kept falling to the side..

5. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Does anyone think hawks baby had gotten poisoned too. Our is something else going on.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    HELP, I have a baby silkie chick that is acting sick now. She is one of Hawk's baby.. Well it's not actually Hawks, Hawk just took over raising her... She has all feathers puffed up and it chirping a LOT. then she quits then she loud, I have her confined, her poop looks normal not red or runny. She doesn't walk and has her eyes closed all the time. I have antibotics I could give her if someone thinks that maybe an issue but if she got something poisions which is the theory for HAWK then what do you do for That???

7. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    The baby silkie is in a puffed ball, she is breathing quite fast and heavy. Please anyone what can I do for her???? Poop is runny, white and clear... She's not eating...

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Wow I'm so sorry, I have no idea what is wrong with them. I would guess poison too. I would add vitamins and electrolytes asap.

Try looking here:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. nancyriverchick

nancyriverchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    I'm not very informed about sick chicks, however, my vet told me that "the solution to pollution is dilution" in normal terms, that meant that lots of fluids would/could dilute poisons. Will the chick take drops of water with vitamins in it? Wish I could help more, I'm so sorry for your loss.

10. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Needless to say my baby Calico Silkie lost his battle, I bought him Pedialyte, yogurt and some more polyvisol because I was determined to get something in his little belly when I got home. At 3:30 today I had my son check on him to see if he was still alive and he was but by the time I got home at 6:00 the poor little guy had past away. This was a Silkie I hatched out from a seller here on BYC. I'm so sad....I just can't stop crying. Amazing how you can get so attached to something so small like a chicken.. Maybe if I was a day sooner perhaps I could have saved him... I knew if he didn't eat I would lose him so I went out bought all this stuff because like I said I was determined...He was going to eat and get some strength. Apparently I was a day too short... On the more positive side he is with his Mommy Hawk and she can continue to take care of him... [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by