Bantam Leghorn rooster question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by passionlady, Aug 14, 2011.

1. passionlady

passionlady New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    Hi everyone. First off, I'm new to raising chickens. I bought six red sex-links in April and have enjoyed them so much! Yesterday, my 9 year old brought home three bantam leghorns, one of which is a rooster. The little stinker (my son) knew one was a rooster but wanted to play a trick on me. Luckily he got them from friends of the family so he was told he could bring the rooster back if it was a problem. I didn't want a rooster but the darn thing is just so cute and hasn't been noisy yet. And he's kept the coop in order, too! Miss Bossy (one of my sex-links) was trying to peck at the new ones and he just puffed up and showed her who's boss! They've all seemed to be getting along pretty good already. My question is....is there any way that my rooster (Fluff) can fertilize my sex-links? And what about the other two bantams? Will they just keep having babies or can I use the egg if I get it the same day she lays it? Sorry if these seem like silly questions. I just wasn't prepared for these three new cutie pies! Thanks for any help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Conceivably [​IMG] the bantam can successfully breed the standard hens, but the eggs will not hatch unless you allow them to be incubated. Fertile eggs are fine to eat if collected regularly and the hens are not allowed to brood them.

3. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    It'd be an interesting outcome. Anyone got any pics of the offspring?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by