Bantam less than a week old group 4 please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bunsnpupsnchick, Jul 3, 2016.

1. bunsnpupsnchick

bunsnpupsnchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Last of my bantams.... I'm really a bit stumped for the first one....the feathers are just starting & I'm seeing a touch of color. The next I'm thinking maybe a mottled? The last is the smallest & is just about solid black. I'm leaning towards cochin due to the face, but it's so small/not round body I wonder. Same with the middle...plus both have a different look to the face...like a scowlish eyebrow/ridge sort of thing if that makes sense????? Again, feathers & single combs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    The first two might be silver pencilled (I'm no expert though), your black with the yellow eye liner is a black mottled (I've attached a picture of my girl who was quite dark as a chick - 11 days old in the photo) and your very dark one will probably be solid black. Aren't they the cutest? I think they are all bantam Cochins especially if they all have feathery legs. We had one in a previous hatch who was the last to hatch and tiny compared to the others. She's caught up in size now. Enjoy your little ones.

[​IMG]

3. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Thanks! Very cute little ones you have! I'm thinking all cochins. If I order again I'll have to see if I can do a d'uccle only order since I've a few cochins already & I'll keep a few of these to fill in on color. They're very sweet. I want a rainbow in my yard.

4. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    My littlest white one (on the left) in that photo is our little booted bantam. They are d'uccles without the face fluff and are very sweet birds. I'm like you - I could never have a flock of birds that all looked the same.

5. bunsnpupsnchick

Jul 2, 2016
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    They are so cute....way too addicting! Definitely having fun learning & trying to see which breeds I like best. I think I'm stuck on the feather legged, crested, or something more unique looking.

I'll have to look and see if Ideal has non-bearded d'uccles. I just discovered that my white 2 month old cochin is a definite boy. Suspected, but ducky had quick feather development (my black had slow) which from what I've read is usually a girl thing & I don't count 100% on the size/color of the wattles/comb, but she's doing the neck ruffle/chest bump dance & this morning lets out a crow. So, unless she's pretending...which I know can be the case....I've boy #5 of 14 for that group. Which means...new homes as I can't have that many boys. I'm still hoping, but figure I'll put up some pics on the cochin thread to verify.

Right now I've a mille fleur d'uccle/cochin roo & hen. Strong color marks on the roo, not so much on the hen, but they're from a guy here who was working on bringing the mille fleur into the cochin. A sultan bantam hen & a red sex-link hen. All about a year or so old.

The 14 2month olds are: 3 oegb (gold-laced, silver-laced, & brassy back I think) cockerels, 2 cochin cockerels (black & white), sultan (not sure if bantam), silver laced polish, white crested blue/black (Not 100% on color) polish, crevecoeur, 3 americaunas, gold sex-link, and I think a production red (very rich red color). Hoping the rest are girls...the americaunas, sex-link, & red were supposed to be. The cresteds were straight run. I got this batch from my local feed store. I knew with the straight runs I'd have possible boys so was trying to hedge my bets a bit. They all run the yard & so far no problems, but I know that may not be the case once they're fully grown. As of now, I'm not set up to separate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by