Bantam - Lethargic, nostrils have turned dark.

happybritta

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 5, 2013
I have a sweet little white bantam that we bought a few months ago. She is laying age, but I don't really know much beyond that. She hasn't layed an egg in a week or so now. Over the past few days she has not wanted to leave their coop- just sitting in a corner, but not using the roosting perches that she used to use. Her nostrils on her beak have turned dark. Although I haven't ever looked at her breast area before to know how covered it was with feathers, it is bare with a couple of stripes of feathers down each side of the breast bone. The skin is papery and yellow. Maybe it is always like this, just covered with feathers? Not sure. She will come down and scratch when I put out cracked corn, but goes right back. When I reach in to pet her, she fluffs up and "purrs", but it's not a happy purr. More like she doesn't feel good. Her eyes seem normal. Her comb is still red, but seems a little less than healthy looking.

Any ideas what I'm looking at?

I have a sweet little white bantam that we bought a few months ago. She is laying age, but I don't really know much beyond that. She hasn't layed an egg in a week or so now. Over the past few days she has not wanted to leave their coop- just sitting in a corner, but not using the roosting perches that she used to use. Her nostrils on her beak have turned dark. Although I haven't ever looked at her breast area before to know how covered it was with feathers, it is bare with a couple of stripes of feathers down each side of the breast bone. The skin is papery and yellow. Maybe it is always like this, just covered with feathers? Not sure. She will come down and scratch when I put out cracked corn, but goes right back. When I reach in to pet her, she fluffs up and "purrs", but it's not a happy purr. More like she doesn't feel good. Her eyes seem normal. Her comb is still red, but seems a little less than healthy looking.

Any ideas what I'm looking at?

Sounds like she is broody. :) Black nostrils though..hmm...but my guess is, she is just broody..that's a bantam for you. They will growl at you when in "their" spot..and just want to be left alone. Have any eggs you can put under her? If not, if you want her broken of the broodiness..putting her in a rabbit style cage, that is open on the bottom is a great way to stop them pretty quick. Make sure the open squares are small enough that her feet don't fall through. The air coming up under her keeps her from wanting to lay down and "snuggle" up. Have food and water in there. A lot of folks try just taking them out of the nest box, put them on the ground, only to see them hurry back to their spot. You can stand there all day and do this, usually doesn't help. It's getting cold out there...so having chicks at this time of year is hard, unless you have a great place for a mama and babies. Warm enough for her and them to get around.
Good Luck!

Well, she is still alive, so I suppose that the broody thing was it. Although, I was really worried about her. She still does seem to have some darkened nostrils and even the sides of her head are darker- they almost look dirty, but she's clean. But now she is back to tooling around with her friends in the yard. Thanks!

Well, she is still alive, so I suppose that the broody thing was it. Although, I was really worried about her. She still does seem to have some darkened nostrils and even the sides of her head are darker- they almost look dirty, but she's clean. But now she is back to tooling around with her friends in the yard. Thanks!

Good to hear. :)

Back
Top Bottom