1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam lovers!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottagechick, Jul 26, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I figured that if I got a variety of breeds, some might lay at different times or go broody at different times so I would eventually always have some eggs. All of them are Bantams, and I am ok with a smaller eggs, but figure I might want a few more than normal just to make up for the size a little.
    Here is my line up and what I have seen listed as their egg laying average:
    Araucana 2
    Araucana 2
    Cochin 2
    silkie 1
    Barred rock 3
    Brahma 3
    Wyandotte 3
    Welsumer. 3
    ------------------------
    19/2=approximately 8 standard eggs..

Since they are small I am assuming that is the equivalent of 8 standard eggs a week.

I was just feeling nervous, like I should add a really good layer or two to fill in the gaps in case the planets don't align and I have 4 roosters and four broody hens... I started itching for a Leghorns and or Rhode Island Reds...Any thoughts?

2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    If you introduce a chicken to the bantams it could cause a lot of fighting since the chicken is bigger. And if you've never had an actual chicken before, you won't realise just how different they are. They are tremendously stupid compared to bantams, and their poos are HUGE! when they get up in the morning they do egg-sized ones. xD
    I bought some chickens months ago for eggs, and they haven't stopped fighting although they do lay every day without fail. It depends what you want, but personally I'd just have the bantams and go without eggs for a few days.

3. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Thanks for the answer. I wasn't clear in my question. I am getting all of the Bantys (Except the Araucanas) in a month. I already have the Araucanas and they are about three months old. I was thinking of adding a Bantam RIR or Leghorn...Thanks.
    Julie
    PS. I had chickens when I was a kid but that was EONS ago...lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    We have around twenty or so bantams, with four Standard hens. The bantam roos mate the big hens and they get along fine.

It is very amusing to see the bantams run so politely, lightly and gracefully, and then to look over at the Standard Barred Rock and see her galumphing along with those huge drumsticks. [​IMG]

5. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    What I do to get eggs almost year round, is to keep both heavy/dual purpose breeds, and some lighter weight laying breeds. The dual purpose breeds lay better in winter, because they molt later in fall, and start laying earlier in spring. The light weight layers have a longer rest period, but once they start in spring, they literally explode with eggs throughout spring and summer, and, overall, lay more eggs per year than the duals. I do not have a light in my coop, so this is all with natural lighting.

Looks to me like most of your bantams are dual purpose breeds, and a couple have the reputation of being poor layers (silkies and cochins). If you want to add a few more that will complement your duals nicely, I'd go with the leghorn. Another possibility is a hamburg.

Someone said full sized chickens are stupider than bantams?? I have both, and I would disagree with that. There is variation from individual to individual, but I don't think my bantams are, on average, any more intelligent than the full sized birds.

6. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Thanks everyone.

So In your opinion are the Banty Leghorns anywhere near as prolific as their lf cousins? Also, you would go with the Leghorns over the RIR?

Oh yah, I almost got a Hamburg. I took it on and off of my order, until I finally just ordered it without. ;-( I should have stuck with it I guess...I wonder if I should call and add one to my order (for the extra $10 fee of course) or just keep looking for a Leghorn or Hamburg here...?
    Thanks,
    Julie

7. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:[​IMG]

I know what you mean [​IMG] my lil Japanese Bantam roo is surrounded by big hefty girls, he works so hard to do his job, but it is so tough for him with his short lil legs to get all the way up there. [​IMG] It is so funny when he is on a hens back trying to get the job done and the hen stands up and walks away with him still on [​IMG] ItÂ’s like the hens give him piggy back rids

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by