Bantam lying down, very thin, weak, bald head, thin feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbaguette, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    [​IMG] HALP!

I've lost my pictures, but there are some here:
    Previous post about the same chicken.
    The baldness is now further down her neck but there are new feather spikes coming up.

This chicken is called Chicken. Soon after we bought her (she was still very young, not much more than a chick) she got scaly leg, and we didn't know what it was, being stupid new chicken owners. She gave it to the other bantam we bought at the same time, but hers was much worse. We worked it out finally, and sprayed them with oil, and the other chicken got completely better. Chicken, however, never got rid of it. I tried everything, and it didn't seem to work. Her scales started to fall off, and now they are all gone apart from the ones on her toes, and a black crust of dirt and scales on the front of one leg. She spent all her time standing on one leg.

After a month or two, her comb started to go white, from the front near the beak. It was completely white. The whiteness travelled up her comb, and after a while feathers started falling out. Slowly, they continued to fall out out until she was bald half way down her neck. The white stuff was hard and scabby. I think it was favus, and treated it with athlete's foot cream, which cleared it up and her head and comb started to go red again. But she kept scratching, and the feathers kept falling out. By then she was standing on one leg with her head drooping, and ducked it down whenever anyone went past or one of the new blacktails came close.

Then some of the skin on her underside, which doesn't have many feathers anymore, started to go yellow and peely, especially in her armpits. I put athlete's foot cream mixed with nappy cream on this and it went. Her feathers were dull and greasy. This was very recently. She was now standing, sometimes sitting, with her head drooped and sometimes tucking it into her feathers.

---- on to now.

Now she lies down all the time with her legs underneath her. She doesn't move, doesn't do anything except squark slightly sometimes when I pick her up. It used to be a chase. Sometimes she does get up, she can.

She seems to be losing her balance slightly, especially when she treads on the foot of the leg that still has the black lump of old scales on it (can't seem to get it off). She trips over. She's always putting her wings down to balance, and when she lies down they aren't held to her body but relaxed to the sides slightly. Her feathers are thin, she rarely even puffs them up. Preens once or twice a day, half-heartedly. Never has a dustbath unless I make her. Head and comb are pale - anaemic?

Doesn't eat until I feed her, and then I have to come back again and again, hold it out to her, sprinkle it on the floor, feed it to her mouthful by mouthful, and anything possible to encourage her. I dig up as many worms as I can every evening when I get home from school. I can hardly feed her in the mornings, I don't have time and she takes a long time to get out of bed. Parents won't feed her, say she has to start to behave like a chicken again and eat by herself. Aah.
    In the coop she has started to lie on the floor instead of perching. Her friend now lies on the floor too to keep her company, but I'm sure she's ok.
    Feathers are even more dull, dirty, greasy.

Sometimes she looks like she's possessed. After shaking her head, or just after moving, she will tilt her beak towards the sky and nod squintly, eyes wide open, pupils dilated. She doesn't react when I pick her up, and that usually causes a fuss. She doesn't seem to register anything. This goes on for only a few seconds. Maybe the athlete's foot cream did something odd? She can't have eaten anything bad, she doesn't eat anything.

She needs to be pushed into doing anything. She would sit on the ground all day otherwise. She hates walking, as soon as nothing is coming after her she sinks down wherever she is.

She has a sickly smell, it was going now it's getting stronger and stronger. Especially when I pick her up after lying down. I can smell it from two or three metres away, or five or six if the wind blows the right way.

She must have some kind of deficiency. She's so fussy, it's hard to get her to eat anything green, except to sprinkle dried parsley or something on her food. But she doesn't like mushy things, which makes life impossible.

I've started soaking some mixed corn for her. She doesn't like eating dry things. Will this compact her crop? She usually eats unshelled sunflower seeds and poultry spice.

She's the fussiest chicken of the five I have. She finds it hard to eat, her beak is blunt from clipping and she won't stay still enough to let me shape it properly. Her beak and claws have to be clipped regularly as she doesn't use them.

---
    Sorry to go on so much, I've probably missed loads of things out anyway.
    But please help.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have no idea what is wrong with your bantam. Maybe someone will chime in this afternoon with some answers for you. So sorry. [​IMG]

3. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Thanks anyway [​IMG]

4. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Get her to an avian vet immediatly. Most parrot vets will do backyard fowl as well. Not sure where you are located but my vet is: www.thebirdvet.com . She may have Beak and Feather disease so isolate her from all your other chickens so they cannot catch it. I reccomend gettiung a plastic dog crate (even better would be a new coop or dog house). Get a new outdoor fenced in area for Chicken so she can still enjoy herself. Keep her warm, put a blanket on the floor of whatever she is sleeping on. A stuffed animal, while it may sound ridiculous, may or may not be put in so she has something to snuggle against. Get her to a vet as soon as possible so you can figure out what's wrong.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I understand if a vet is not an option; this is true for many people here.

I'm concerned about her limited diet, too. Are you giving her any vitamins? Lots of folks get the infant vitamin drops that any drug store or WalMart should have; you want the kind without iron. Usually a drop or two a day is enough. Just put it on the side of her beak and hopefully she will take it in from there, or of course put it in a bit of water. I'd probably give her some vitamin E as well.

If her crop is empty in the morning or when she hasn't eaten for a while, it's probably OK. Be sure she gets a little grit to grind the sunflower seeds.

That's not much, I know. I imagine the smell is from whatever her skin problem is. Have you read up on Marek's? It's neurological and has different symptoms; it's actually a group of diseases. I know very little about it, but have read that sometimes it responds to vitamins.

Best of luck to you both.

6. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    Thank you both [​IMG] No, a vet isn't an option. We don't have Walmart here but I'll see if I can get some vitamin stuff off the internet or from Boots [​IMG] I checked my other chickens, and their crop feels the same as hers, so I think it's ok. She does have grit. She's started hiding under a bush on the cold mud, but I try to keep her in the sun as much as possible.
    Yes, I've read up on Marek's and that would explain the loss of balance. I'll get some vitamins as soon as possible. She's going to have to be put down if this gets any worse. I'm useless.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:This worried me a little. I have no idea where you are -- if you mentioned it, I missed it. I'm guessing somewhere relatively cold?? Of course many animals find a hiding spot when ill, but there may be a reason that cold mud feels good to her, as well.

8. chickenbaguette

Jul 2, 2011
    It's mainly because the new big chickens sometimes chase her. Last time I got her from under that bush she was freezing cold and shivering. I just live in England, so it's not particularly cold, but it is a very cold bush. xD Now I'm going to keep her in the big run which she seems to prefer. it's safe from the others, who are free range in the garden.

9. chickenfarmgirl

chickenfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    You know, you might see if she (or he) is being picked on by your other chickens and/or roosters. That's usually the first thing I look for. And, my bantam sounds familiar to yours. Is it losing it head feathers naturally or due to physical illness, or is its head bloody? If it is bloody, your bantam may be having its feathers picked out by other chickens. Hope this helps! And good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by