bantam mille fleur cochins -- update pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amazondoc, Sep 30, 2008.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
  2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    They look great. I would get on the Cochins International forum and see what they think and what suggestions they have for improving type and color. That is if you are going to work on them (and I think you should [​IMG] ).

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    They are pretty. Is this a project that you started? If so what color cochin did you use and how many generations? Which was the Mille Fleur, the roo or hen?

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    very nice! I predict a lot of that excess white will disappear in the next few months.

5. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks guys!

I can not claim ANY credit for these guys, except for the food that went into growing the feathers. [​IMG] I got them from Adam, and he got them from Mike Vogan. Mike's the one who did the hard part!

Somewhere on these forums there's a discussion about the genetics involved in creating mille fleur. I forget exactly, but I believe I remember that it's mottled plus Columbian, plus something else that I've forgotten. If somebody here knows the whole combo, please remind me!

6. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are beautiful!

7. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks, I think so too! [​IMG]

I think I may name the little roo El Jefe. He sure is a bossy little cuss! [​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    So is mine! he drags his little wing, does his little dance, and jumps up on the wire when he is "safe" between a few layers of wire. He has learned not to be so cocky when his door is open and I am reaching in there, but he sure would like to.

9. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Fortunately, my guy is not spontaneously aggressive towards me -- but if I upset one of His Girls, he's gonna read me the riot act!

I've been hand-feeding mealworms to these guys to tame them. The problem is -- I have to physically hold the roo back, or he'll steal the ones I'm trying to feed to the girls! If I have a girl held up in one hand, feeding her a mealworm with the other hand, he'll jump up as high as he can trying to snatch the mealworm away from me. He's a stinker!

10. bantyman

bantyman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Blue Ridge GA
    Hey all [​IMG]

I never said they were angels [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by