Bantam Muscovies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CluckyJay, Jan 14, 2012.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Is anyone working on this? I was thinking about it over the winter.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Dont think its possible but could be wrong. Breed a muscovy to anything you get a mule that cant produce.

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I was thinking about breeding the smallest ones I could find and then keep breeding to the smallest. Surely over time, I would end up with mostly small ones?

4. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I think it would take years and years, but sure. Isn't that how they got chihuahuas out of wolves? ;D

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Yea, something like that. Hopefully mine would have a better temperament, LOL.

6. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i have read that someone is working on them in australia but thats all i know. i have an egg being sat on about the size of a large grape here, tiny, if by some fluke it hatches the duckling would most definatley be super bantam.

7. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Well, they have extra-large Muscovies. Why not breed them to be a lot smaller?

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I would be amazed if that egg hatched! You really need to keep up updated! :O

I might try the Muscovy breeding this year. Can always eat the culls, LOL.

9. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    there's nothing wrong with eating the culls! my freezer is looking good at the moment[​IMG] i'd be amazed if the super mini egg hatched too, it'd take a whole lot of skill on mums behalf and since she has stuffed up her last two clutches of eggs ,and would have been sold if she didnt lay again so quick, i doubt it very much.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'm curious, why would you want a smaller version? One of the reasons i chose the breed was for it's larger size, smaller breeds wouldn't be as suitable for here. Trying to understand the reasoning, as there are many smaller breeds out there, so what would be the benefits to sizing down a relatively larger breed.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by