1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bantam or dwarf? UPDATED w/pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greenguys, Apr 21, 2009.

1. greenguys

greenguys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    our 6 chicks are now almost 5 weeks old and really getting big --- except for one little girl. She was always smaller than the rest but now, 5 weeks later, she is still half the size of the others.

while they are getting tall with longer necks, she is simply growing a little bit at a time, getting a little rounder and looks more like a chick than the rest of them.

Could someone have mixed in a bantam? Or are there "runt" chicks? If she stays 1/2 the size of the rest, will it be safe to keep her with the others? They don't seem to be picking on her or anything --- just low on the totem pole when it comes to feed time.

thanks for any advice....

Greg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Do you know what breeds your chicks are?

It's quite possible that she just a runt or she could be a Bantam, big help, huh?

Where did you get the chicks from?

Dawn

3. greenguys

Apr 10, 2009
    we thought we were buying Rhode Island Reds but someone else pointed out they were red sex-links.

we got them from TSC.

4. ladyj

ladyj Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    east texas
    [​IMG] i bought some bantams from atwoods and one of my girls is really tiny found out thru research she is a porcaline(?) think i got really lucky as they are really hard to find. maybe you got lucky too.

5. greenguys

Apr 10, 2009
    I'm working in our store right now. Will take a pic in the morning and post it. She did, however, look like all the rest of the chicks (in color, I mean) when we got them --- just smaller.

I think I posted incorrectly....someone said they were gold sex-links before, not red. Frankly, I have no idea.

6. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    looking forward to seeing the pics [​IMG]

7. greenguys

Apr 10, 2009
    here she is alongside two of the others for comparison (front, right):
    [​IMG]

and here she is showing off by herself:

[​IMG]

while we're at it, (now that they are older), they are sex-links, right?

thanks,
    Greg

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I had that happen with one of my australorps. It was 1/4 or 1/3 the size of all the others and i thought the same thing, must be a bantam. In the last 4-6 weeks before laying age, she caught right up. I think its a wait an see thing. It could be a runt, or a bantam.

here is a pic.... the 2 black chicks are the exact same age and both full sized now.

BTW....welcome [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    the size difference (might be the pic) doesn't look that big of a difference to me...I can see a BIG difference in the black birds, but not so much in the tan ones... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by