Bantam or Standard?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rrhf001, Jun 20, 2016.

1. rrhf001

rrhf001 New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    Hello to all,
    Fellow chicken farmers and such, I have a situation. My chicks are three weeks old, 10 Rhode Island Reds, 5 polish, and 5 Americana. My father in law bought his chicks two weeks after i bought mine and his are a whole head taller. My fear is I was sold bantam chicks instead of standard size. How tall should three week old chicks be? Mine are about the height of a 20 oz. coke bottle. Is there any other good reference on how big my chicks should be? Thanks for any and all help!!!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Are you and your FIL using the same feed, and do your birds have 24 hour access to feed? Given the breeds listed, I doubt that you purchased bantams . Where were your chicks purchased?

3. rrhf001

rrhf001 New Egg

Apr 29, 2016
    No sure what he feeds but I feed 20 percent chick starter and they have constant access to feed and water. Also we did not purchase them from the same place.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Chicks grow at different rates just like people. Some have just a few growth spurt and others a lot. give them time and I sure they will all catch up with one another. It may take until they are about six months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by