Bantam People!! HALLLP- "Gift Chickens"

Pics

theuglychick

Crowing
May 3, 2016
Louisiana
My neighbors are really sweet. He walked over today with not one, or two, but FOUR bantam chickens.

I do not know bantam anything.

I can clearly see that there are 2 roosters and 2 hens.

They seem really mature. Red faces and combs. There're in a terrible state of molt. I immediately poultry dusted them. It was a reflex.

I'm going to move them to a quarantine pen tomorrow. Tonight I have them in a small animal cage in the climate controlled garage and I'll deworm them. I need to construct the quarantine pen by tomorrow.

So who cares that I already have dozens of chickens and and am struggling to tweak the almighty Chicken Math to accommodate them, and I'm working on trying to get NPIP certified, They're SUPER cute. And Im keeping them.

Here are my questions:
What kind of bantams are they?
What color are these considered?

What do I do with them?

Looks like they've been passed around a bit and had a rough go at it. When I looked in the box I instantly fell in love... miniature versions of the things that I love!!

They are super duper small.

Any advice specific to bantams that us owners of the big dumb giant birds don't realize?

Do y'all see anything that I need to watch for? One hen isn't eating food I provided and was apparently eating and then hacking up the shavings :/. They're molting pretty badly. Bald patches, bald patches and broken feathers everywhere!

I don't just want to care for them, I want to make them awesome, like the best that they can be in their little lives and environments!

Awaiting suggestions.... annnd go!
IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

I know these are terrible pics and I'll get more tomorrow after I get back from work.

They really are the tiniest chickens I've ever seen!!

When the neighbor told me he was bringing over bantams I thought "Great! More chickens. And these lay fart-sized eggs." But when I saw them I went into full Gollum mode and thought, "MY PRECIOUS!!!!"

I'll get some pics when the sun comes up and they are up.

(I have a toddler who sometimes wakes me up at night and once I'm up I can't go back to sleep). (*sigh*)

The color on the roosters remind me of a black calico cat, if that makes sense.

Thanks for all of the help!

could you get photos of them standing in natural side profile, that would let us know pretty quick if they are seramas

They really are the tiniest chickens I've ever seen!!

When the neighbor told me he was bringing over bantams I thought "Great! More chickens. And these lay fart-sized eggs." But when I saw them I went into full Gollum mode and thought, "MY PRECIOUS!!!!"

I'll get some pics when the sun comes up and they are up.

(I have a toddler who sometimes wakes me up at night and once I'm up I can't go back to sleep). (*sigh*)

The color on the roosters remind me of a black calico cat, if that makes sense.

Thanks for all of the help!
That's funny right there. My neighbor also walked over a couple days ago and gave me 2 bantams. Golden Sebrights. Male and female.

Attachments

• 20170917_152328.jpg
    20170917_152328.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 11
Ok, I've learned I cannot photograph chickens well.

So they're looking a little rough and please excuse my make-shift quarantine pen (at least the trampoline is finally getting used). But here they are.

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_2027.JPG

They're missing a lot of feathers and I'm not sure it's just molting. Looks like it could be from picking. BUT could it also be from mites? I dust mine regularly so I've never dealt with mites.

What's the verdict? Breed? Color? Health? Age perhaps?

The neighbor who gave them to me got them from someone and didn't know anything about them.

I'll get better pics this evening. I promise!

Back
Top Bottom