Bantam pipping trouble?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NaomiSarah, Jul 19, 2010.

1. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    I have a little bantam hatching today or tomorrow - it's actually not 21 days until Wednesday though. So anyways, there's signs of pipping now - I grabbed it for a quick candle this morning and I can see a little bobbing up and down of the membrane.

Problem? There seems to be a bit of fluid - like a tiny bit - in the air sac. Having never candled a pipping egg before, is this normal? It didn't have fluid in it yesterday at all, only since it started trying to pip the sac.

2. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    Does anyone know about this? I'm getting concerned, because I don't hear any peeping or cheeping.

3. flecxx

flecxx New Egg

Jul 18, 2010
    I just read this morning on BYC on the hatching page that if after half a day of pippin the chick has not hatched then you can take off the top of the shell... I have a clutch in the incubator and didn't know this... I have lost 3 and saved 2 after having read this information... Good Luck!

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    if it hasn't hatched in 24hrs then you step in! what's your humidity? i have had that fluid because it was to high and it drowns the chick.

5. NaomiSarah

Jul 4, 2010
    Since it's been the whole day like this, I took off the very top of the egg to have a peek - there was only a little bit of fluid and it looks like the chick's working on the membrane but not out yet, nor is it's beak. As it's still doing totally fine like this, I've got the egg wrapped lightly in a wet cloth in case the opening causes it to lose humidity inside. I feel like I shouldn't have interfered, but I imagine it's better because the chick could have drowned in the fluid? Grr, frustrated. I don't know how much fluid poses a danger to the chick, and now I'm stressing about the sanitation of the chick cuz the shell is open.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by