Bantam pullet abscess

skyjoshin

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
Hi everyone. We just started our chicken adventures. We got several feather footed bantams and a few other assorted breeds. My concern is that my daughter had her ferret out playing and it grabbed one of the chicks. We couldn't see any injuries at the time. The ferret is the most mild mannered and tames I've ever known. She actually just sniffed and seemed like she was just going to be friends. But instinct got the better of her. My point is, it wasn't a serious bite, and like I said, we couldn't see broken skin. Well, now a couple days later, she has a large abscess in the area, which looks pretty big and is really tight. I'm thinking we will have to Lance it. I've been reading other accounts of these things. And I think I know what to do. Here's my plan:
Clean the area well and apply iodine.
Make a small cut near the center (unless I can locate a scab, where the injury occurred) drain well. Maybe flush with 1/2 strength peroxide. Then just apply neosporin and keep the wound clean for several days, rinsing inside the empty abscess, gently, with peroxide solution and reapplying neosporin.
Sound about right?
One of them had a problem pooping before we got them, and when we got them home we noticed poop built up around her bum. Clumping feathers and the skin was very irritated and bleeding. We pulled the clump off and cleaned her bottom up. Kept neosporin on it and she's doing great today. She's got a little bald booty, but it's starting to grow back. So, I feel fairly confident about caring for our feathered babies. Though I've never dealt with a large abscess on anything. Never cut anything open to drain it.... anyway, thanks for any input. Wish us luck. I'm planning on doing this tomorrow.

I wouldn't lance it yet,if you have any antibiotic human are fine.I would try that first and see of it helps.It's better not to open wound and risk bacterial getting in it.

Hi everyone. We just started our chicken adventures. We got several feather footed bantams and a few other assorted breeds. My concern is that my daughter had her ferret out playing and it grabbed one of the chicks. We couldn't see any injuries at the time. The ferret is the most mild mannered and tames I've ever known. She actually just sniffed and seemed like she was just going to be friends. But instinct got the better of her. My point is, it wasn't a serious bite, and like I said, we couldn't see broken skin. Well, now a couple days later, she has a large abscess in the area, which looks pretty big and is really tight. I'm thinking we will have to Lance it. I've been reading other accounts of these things. And I think I know what to do. Here's my plan:
Clean the area well and apply iodine.
Make a small cut near the center (unless I can locate a scab, where the injury occurred) drain well. Maybe flush with 1/2 strength peroxide. Then just apply neosporin and keep the wound clean for several days, rinsing inside the empty abscess, gently, with peroxide solution and reapplying neosporin.
Sound about right?
One of them had a problem pooping before we got them, and when we got them home we noticed poop built up around her bum. Clumping feathers and the skin was very irritated and bleeding. We pulled the clump off and cleaned her bottom up. Kept neosporin on it and she's doing great today. She's got a little bald booty, but it's starting to grow back. So, I feel fairly confident about caring for our feathered babies. Though I've never dealt with a large abscess on anything. Never cut anything open to drain it.... anyway, thanks for any input. Wish us luck. I'm planning on doing this tomorrow.
:jumpy :jumpy :welcome :jumpy :jumpy

1524535089429.jpg
1524535421812.jpg
1524535564642.jpg
Well, today was busy. We were moving some of the babies around and building a portable coop for my mom's place. I'll see if I can get a good picture of it. It's about the size of a grape and is fairly squishy. It moves around under the skin. We don't have any antibiotics here... It looks like it might have shrunk a little bit since yesterday, but not a lot, if it did at all. She seems to be eating and moving around ok. I guess maybe I'll just watch it for a couple days?

Last edited:
Make sure that you know where the crop is, and do not lance the crop. It is in the chick’s right upper chest, and the food and water is stored there. It will be partly full after chick has eaten and drunk, then get smaller when the food moves on to the gizzard. Here is a picture:

upload_2018-4-23_22-16-49.png

Oh, wow. Ya, it's definitely the crop. So, it HAD almost vanished this morning. I didn't look closely, because we were moving things. And then when i went to look, it was back, but seemed a bit smaller. Lol. Well, I'm certainly glad I joined the community here and asked. That could've been bad. Poor thing, I was poking and prodding at her for no reason. Thank you Eggcessive and HuskerHens! So, then everything is going great with our flock. I'm a little proud, I think we have some happy birds. Now, just gotta keep an eye on the fence around the coop. We lost four the first couple days, before we found the tiny hole in the wire. Then again the other day, we went out to find one mostly eaten. It's Kind of traumatic after naming them and spending so much time falling in love with them. Lol. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again guys!

Oh, wow. Ya, it's definitely the crop. So, it HAD almost vanished this morning. I didn't look closely, because we were moving things. And then when i went to look, it was back, but seemed a bit smaller. Lol. Well, I'm certainly glad I joined the community here and asked. That could've been bad. Poor thing, I was poking and prodding at her for no reason. Thank you Eggcessive and HuskerHens! So, then everything is going great with our flock. I'm a little proud, I think we have some happy birds. Now, just gotta keep an eye on the fence around the coop. We lost four the first couple days, before we found the tiny hole in the wire. Then again the other day, we went out to find one mostly eaten. It's Kind of traumatic after naming them and spending so much time falling in love with them. Lol. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks again guys!
I'm glad everything is okay! Feel free to ask questions whenever you have them :) the community is full of very knowledgeable people. Good luck with your chicks!! They're fun pets! :jumpy:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom